Dishwasher with no Garbage Disposal

Users who are viewing this thread

micalk

Reaction score
How's it done? The instructions have the dw drain going straight into the plumbing, no air gap. Can it be run similar to a clothes washer drain, where the output of the dw is hooked over the edge of a drain pipe angled out of the wall with a P-trap at the bottom? What are my options? This is a Fischer-Paykel single drawer and will be used mainly for cups and silverware at the coffee bar, so I'm not concerned about any heavy waste, though my main dw is a little far from the kitchen sink, and may employ a similar technique there, if practical.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Air gaps are not always required by local codes. If one is not used, then the drain hose must be looped and attached under the counter top. It attaches to the sink drain with a special tail piece that has a pipe stub teed out of it that the hose clamps onto. If an air gap is required or desired, then it is install in the counter top. The hose attaches to the drain the same as described above.

bosch-drain-2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

RioHyde

Plumber
Reaction score
0001.jpg

Dishwasher tailpiece

As Gary said, an airgap may not be required. Check with the local plumbing authority in your jurisdiction. If you don't use one, just be sure to loop the drain hose and attach it to the underside of the counter.

Good luck

micalk

Reaction score
Thanks, RioHyde - That's exactly what I was looking for. AFAIK, I'll need an airgap too, but that's between me and my inspector....

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks