How do you mount an outside hose bib to a stucco wall?

Users who are viewing this thread

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
I drilled a 1 3/8" hole through 10 inches of stucco and cement block and am getting ready to install an outdoor hose bib. I can secure the pipes leading to it in the crawl space, but the last 10 inches of 3/4" pvc can move around inside the hole. The hose bib is coming right out of the stucco wall and needs to be secured so it won't move around when you open and close the valve.

I'm thinking of wrapping the 10 inches of PVC (in the wall) with pipe insulation to keep it in place, and maybe just caulking the hole around the hose bib to keep that from moving.

Is there an escutcheon type trim plate people use for this or does anyone have any other ideas?

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
The 1-3/8" hole sounds a little large, but maybe the bib's flange will cover it? If so, two pieces of stainless, threaded rod with crown nuts could be pushed through the flange and the wall from the outside and drawn tight via a couple of small plates and nuts on the inside.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Yes, the hole is a bit large. Make a stainless plate, like leejosepho said 4"X4" with a hole that will just let the hose bib through. You can attatch the stainless to the wall with clear silicone caulk and some tap cons or what ever you want to use, then attatch the bib with silicone and a couple of stainless screws to the plate.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
very easy----very simple

I do it this all the time....make the hole big.....then

If you want it to be semi pernament...

if you want it to never move.

.....go get a couple t tubes of

clear ALEX latex--silicone .for under $2.00...

As you insert the hose bib, lay that stuff on thick

all the way from the threaded part out to the front end..

simply smear it on very thick on the shaft and sort of thread it

into the hole makeing a few 360 turns ...

even with that large of a hole ..it still chould work fine...

once that puppy sets up, in a few days......its not going ---NO WHERE...

you could not pull it out of the wall with a wench

I suggest you get a good quality Woodford hose bib...

and make sure you have good fall.....

cause to change it out again someday might bring you to tears..

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
faucet

The first mistake would be using PVC if that is actually what you are using. Some hose faucets, called sill cocks, have a flange with opeings to fasten them to the wall.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Why I went with PVC:

It's cold water. It's a 30 foot run to the outside wall. It's a crawl space with a dirt floor. There's so little clearance, I have to lie on my belly to make a couple of the connections.

Why I used a 1 3/8" hole saw:

It's the only carbide-tipped hole saw I own. I already invested 25.00 on this job, having to buy a new pipe wrench and a 12 inch arbor extension, and I'm only gonna make a couple hundred on the job.

Why I'll never work in a tight crawl space again:

No light. No room to work. It's a repository for old junk, broken glass, etc.,
Have to lie face down in mud. Cuts all over my hands. Stiff neck and back. Pulled a groin muscle somehow.
Coughing up phlegm now. :(

I'll see if I can find a sillcock that can adapt to PVC. I like the idea of a flange to screw into the wall.

Wet_Boots

Sprinkler Guy
Reaction score
I would use a 3/4" FPT sillcock, and thread in a long nipple (brass would be ideal, galvanized would be economical), and use 100% silicone sealant to fill the gaps, and stabilize the sillcock, in the event you have difficulty securing the sillcock flange into the stucco with screws. (I see some stucco that's backed by foam, and not really capable of support) I guess you could also use a 3/4" sweat sillcock and a foot or so of copper, in the same way. The idea is to have all metal in the portion of your work that might take some abuse.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
get the woodford...

if you are gonna do plumbing , you better get
used to tight crawl spaces.....

pulling muscles, spider webs, racoon junk...
its all par for the course...

why not just get a woodford,
with the palstic moutning flange to the wall
solder a copper nipple into it,

then use a 1/2 sharkbite to adapt to the cpvc...

attachment.php

Last edited by a moderator:

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
master plumber mark said:
if you are gonna do plumbing , you better get
used to tight crawl spaces.....

pulling muscles, spider webs, racoon junk...
its all par for the course...

Actually, as a general handyman, I can pick and choose. Maybe I'll just skim off the easy stuff from now on (just to bother Kordts) and leave you guys to mess with the spider webs and racoon sh*t.:D

Last edited by a moderator:

Kordts

In the Trades
Reaction score
And I was going to tell you to go to Home Depot to get a sillcock mounting plate, they cost less than 3 bucks. Now I won't. By the way, an advantage to charging plumber's scale, is that jobs are worth doing, even if you hack up furballs, because you get what you are worth.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
All in fun Kordts. :p

I ended up using a 12 inch sillcock with mounting flange attached and drilled holes for tapcons. It's in there solid. No caulk necessary. This job is definitely worth 2 or 3 times what I'm going to get and I'm sure they're still not going to be happy with the bill.

Another reason for not wanting to work in tight crawl spaces:

I found a little box that I tore open to use to cover some of the mud to put my head on. Afterward, I shined my flashlight on it and it read Rat Poison!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Verdeboy said:
This job is definitely worth 2 or 3 times what I'm going to get and I'm sure they're still not going to be happy with the bill.

Another reason for not wanting to work in tight crawl spaces:

I found a little box that I tore open to use to cover some of the mud to put my head on. Afterward, I shined my flashlight on it and it read Rat Poison!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

This is one reason why plumbers seem so expensive. This is the kind of stuff we put up with on a regular basis.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Verdeboy said:
Why I went with PVC:

It's cold water. It's a 30 foot run to the outside wall. It's a crawl space with a dirt floor. There's so little clearance, I have to lie on my belly to make a couple of the connections.

I'll see if I can find a sillcock that can adapt to PVC. I like the idea of a flange to screw into the wall.

Why wouldn't you have used an approved pipe like CPVC instead of PVC?

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Cass said:
Why wouldn't you have used an approved pipe like CPVC instead of PVC?

I thought CPVC was required for hot water/high-pressure applications, and indoors. This application is none of the above--unless an underground crawl space is considered indoors.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks