cbu subfloor under shower base?

Users who are viewing this thread

Tobias

Reaction score
I’m redoing a small bathroom that has not seen any TLC in 45 years. I now ready to install a new Swanstone neo-angle shower base; just not sure what the best way to do this is.

The subfloor is 3/4" t&g board. It’s in good condition, just not perfectly level.

Option 1: I put 15lb felt and metal lath on the subfloor and install the base in mud.

Option 2: I put cement backer board on the entire bath room floor, add two coats of Redgard and install the shower base directly onto the cbu - nested in mud for stability. That seems to be easier and faster but is cbu OK under the shower base?

Which way would be best? I would like that bathroom to last for the rest of my life, so “overkill†is just fine :)

Thanks,

Tobias

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Deck mud should be probably thicker than you want. How out of level is it? A medium bed thinset can be installed up to about 1/2" or maybe more depending on the brand - no lath required.

Tobias

Reaction score
well, I went with 15lb felt, metal lath and a bag of mason mix. nearly forgot to cut a hole for the drain in the lath ;-)

shower base is level and rock-solid.

Tobias

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
that should work! The main goal is to prevent the fiberglass or whatever system from flexing when walking around in the shower. Fully supporting it both makes it feel much more substantial and prolongs its life by preventing stress cracks. A secondary, but necessary function is it gives you the opportunity to level the shower floor, which is very important for proper draining and trying to make the walls look good.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks