Can 2 Power Vent water heaers share same vent?

Users who are viewing this thread

edbreyer

Reaction score
I need to install a second power vent water heater (new master bath/whirlpool) and had assumed I'd need to have a second PVC vent line run out the side of the house. However, a contractor friend thought it was possible to share the existing vent line.

Seems to me that without some sort of damper - the exhaust from one water heater might back feed to the other water heater and enter the utility room.

Also - will the existing 1/2" gas line be sufficient for both heaters? They will rarely run simultaneously as I'm installing them in series and the first in the series (which will feed the second heater) will have a remote control which will only allow it to turn on when we're planning to need the extra capacity (e.g. whirlpool use or overnight guests).

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You should be able to find the installation instructions on teh web, or look at the ones that came with the tanks. Note I'm not a pro, but I've been looking at power vented appliances for awhile trying to decide what brand and the best way to install, and all of them I've looked at specifically state you CANNOT share the vents. AND, there are some pretty specific requirments about how far apart they can be, and their placement relative to other openings, overhangs, etc. Check yours, but I'd be surprised if they can.

edbreyer

Reaction score
Thanks for the response

Thanks for the response - I'll check the installation instructions as suggested but agree that it's very unlikely they can share the same exhaust vent.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks