MORE HELP!!cracks in fiber-glass shower walls..

Users who are viewing this thread

DIY-new

Reaction score
hi all,
looks like I have another one coming my way..
I noticed that there are couple of cracks in my fiberglass-shower walls.

to clarify , cracks are in the shower walls onlu and not the bathtub.

any one had any experience with with that ?
i got some people telling me that there is no fix for fiberglass cracks.. if you fix some it will just find other place to crack.. true ? any risks if i just leave it like that ?
any help appreciated.
thx.

RioHyde

Plumber
Reaction score
There are fiberglass repair kits out there for tubs, showers and surrounds, but I've never used them so I cant state if they actually work or not. I have seen a professional repair done to a shower though and you'd be hard pressed to find the repair. One question in my mind however is why did they crack to begin with? Someone slip and fall into a wall or are there settling issues with the house, etc.

I'd consider just replacing the walls. You can buy fiberglass surrounds for the tub or even replace the fiberglass with tile or marble walls. There may be other fixes but I dont think I'd want to worry about a leak through the shower walls messing up the ceiling below.

Good luck

Mike Swearingen

Reaction score
Website
www.albemarle-realty.com
For temporary repair of hairline cracks or chips in fiberglass tubs and showers, you can use Appliance Touch-Up (AT) liquid, which actually is made to repair chips in white enamel appliances. It drys hard as a rock.
You can find it at most appliance stores and many hardware stores.
To use it, clean and dry (I use a hairdryer) the crack or chip. The AT liquid comes with a little cap brush like nail polish, and you just brush it on. Smooth and clean up the edges with a Q-tip dipped in acetone (nail polish remover). Let it dry overnight.
It shrinks a bit, so you may have to apply it more than once.
I've had good luck with it, and it will seal it until you repair it properly or replace it.
Good Luck!
Mike

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks