Copper alert!

Users who are viewing this thread

SRdenny

Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
Here we go again. It is looking like copper is going to take a crazy ride this year. Less than two months ago the copper tube manufacturers were telling everybody it was going to go down. Well, guess what? It has done the exact opposite. The Comex went from $2.41 in February to over $3.30 in March. It looks like it is going to get worse before it gets better, but who knows. Hang on to your hat!

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Copper; the gift that keeps on giving.

What's nice is I bought all of my copper pipe and fittings....get this, 4 years ago. Back when it was cheap cheap!!

So when these price spikes come into play I've been jacking the prices up like the tide to make the extra that comes from the price inflation.

No matter what, if I had to buy them today I wouldn't have that luxury.

Here's a question worth asking......

The Home Depot I'm in good with has proposed an offer that I'm hedging on; All of those copper fittings that have the solder ring inside them?

I'll have access to probably 4 or 5000 of them since they keep dropping the prices down and none of it is selling.

The first mention was around 20 cents a fitting and I believe for as much as I'm buying......that is way too much.

To be worth a buy that size, I was thinking 10 cents or lower.

I'm also curious to know what the scrap value would be to do a quick sale as soon as I buy them and take them to the recycling plant. I already own enough copper fittings to last my lifetime and I can afford to move these if it comes to that.

I've tried selling these types of copper fittings online and they just don't sell.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
RUGGED said:
I've tried selling these types of copper fittings online and they just don't sell.
You could use the ones with the solder rings and sell the good ones.

Cookie

Reaction score
Maybe, you could sell them, like on that movie, with the very funny John Candy, as jewerly, or shower rings? :D

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Well....the ones that aren't with the solder rings, some look old and need to be acid washed and packaged. Too much trouble when selling stuff like that online is so cut-throat to begin with.

As far as making stuff out of them.....I only wish I had artistic capabilities like that. I literally have rolls of different sized copper tubing, even a roll of squared copper tubing.

I don't know how they do it but people who make those really neat copper works of outside lawn ornaments and fancy swirling sprinklers.....I can't do it; I've tried a couple times and it's not my forte at all.

I could never get it to look uniform/sellable.

I'll stick to fix and repair of existing water lines to play it safe.

Cookie

Reaction score
I got it. You take the copper tubing, and the squared copper, and what you do is make wall sculptures; or metal wall hangings. I know of a place here that does nothing but metal works, to describe one; long curly pieces of copper suspended from a long little bit wavy piece of copper. Some could be sprayed a black, nothing should be 'perfect' looking. The squared piece would be nice in a squared frame, on a black felted background.

http://www.artinmetalusa.com/worksforsale.html

Now, when you get REALLY REALLY good:
http://www.phxart.org/pastexhibitions/copper.asp

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Well I was walking through a HD last week and they had a cart totaly covered with some 1/2" but mostly 3/4" fittings. I found out they were marking them down to get rid of them and asked what kind of price they would give me if I took everything. I got $2,300.00 worth of the EZ sweat fittings for around $300.00. The real value, based on the price for regular / non EZ sweat, was about $1,300.00 so in my book it was a good deal.

MPM the 3/4" 90s came out at 15 and 1/2 cents each.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks