well water discolored after power outage

Users who are viewing this thread

Alleycat

Reaction score
Hello all
We got socked with heavy snow here Tuesday night, and the power was out for 20 hours. When it came back, our well water was brown. It seems clear now, but should I be testing it? Our well is 2 years old and 450+ feet deep.
Thanks for any responses!

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
If there wasn't but 10-20 gals or less of the dirty water, then the cause was probably sediment from iron in the water in the plumbing coming loose when you got water running again. The cause is due to the water lines being depressurized for 20 hrs and that allows sediment to come loose to be flushed out later.

That would happen for sure if you have a leaking check valve in/on a submersible pump and it allowed air into the plumbing as water ran back to the well.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks