(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: well water discolored after power outage

Hybrid View

Default well water discolored after power outage

Hello all
    We got socked with heavy snow here Tuesday night, and the power was out for 20 hours. When it came back, our well water was brown. It seems clear now, but should I be testing it? Our well is 2 years old and 450+ feet deep.
    Thanks for any responses!

DIY scratch-pad engineer leejosepho's Avatar

I would doubt there is any need for concern. The period of dormancy possibly allowed a bit of settling that was later lifted out during a higher-than-usual demand when your overall system was replenished.

If there wasn't but 10-20 gals or less of the dirty water, then the cause was probably sediment from iron in the water in the plumbing coming loose when you got water running again. The cause is due to the water lines being depressurized for 20 hrs and that allows sediment to come loose to be flushed out later.

That would happen for sure if you have a leaking check valve in/on a submersible pump and it allowed air into the plumbing as water ran back to the well.
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.