Vent size

Users who are viewing this thread

Damorej

Reaction score
I am installing a new 3" pvc line for a toilet, the vent will be 3' downstream. My ? is will 1.5" pvc be ok for vent size?

Last edited:

RioHyde

Plumber
Reaction score
That really depends on the code requirements for your part of the country. Here, the vent must be a minimum of half the size of the drain it serves so 1-1/2" vent would be the minimum size for a 3" drain. However, in reading through the posts since I've joined, I've seen that some municipalities require a 2" vent for a toilet. Call your local building dept. and ask what the requirements for your area are. I'm sure they'll be happy to help you out.

On a side note, I'm installing a bathroom in my basement at the present time. My vent for my toilet will be "oversized" to 2". I just like to "overdo" now and then especially on my own plumbing. :D

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks