(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Shallow well

Default shallow well is in!

Hi all the shallow well is in, I went down 18 feet and got water. I now have several more questions on the next few steps. I have used the pitcher pump to draw up the water and it pumps good with lots of sand, but back breaking and hard work. What is the reasonalbe time frame for the well to pump clear, also can I use a gas powered pump to pump out the shallow well. It was sand all the way down, I can tell because it pounded down really easy it took only about a hour to drive it in. So once the well is cleared out ill drop the weight down and measure it how far up the string the water is, what would be good measurement. Also how do I calculate what my gpm is. Do I do this with the picther pump? Anyway look forward to your comments.
    Byron

Byron,
    i would drive that point so you have 10' of water over the screen. Where is the water level at now? You can use a gas pump to pump the well off.The time for the water to clear depends on how fine the material is and how big the slot size is on your screen. A well pumped sand free at a high rate will pump sand free at a low rate so try to pump it a level higher than what you are normaly going to use for. To check the flow rate get a five gallon bucket and time it to see how long it takes to fill. Take that time and divide it into 60 and then multiply it by five. Whatever you come up with from that is your GPM. You definitely want to make sure that screen is plenty deep beyond the water table. The water level might be high now but come drought season it can drop. I always say the best time to put in a new well is during a drought.

SAM

Sammy, thank you for the tips i'll get to it in couple of days. There is a big storm heading our way for now. I am excited for making it this far. I'll measure the water level tomorrow and see what it reads. I'll get back to you guys tomorrow or in a few days.
    Byron

Default Water in the pipe

I have 30 inches of water in the pipe. I have a total lengh of 18 feet of pipe in the ground. What should I do next
    Byron

Previous member

30 inches is about the length of your well point isn't it? Did you do the bucket test yet? Is the handle of that Pitcher Pump bouncing back up after you push it down or are you getting a good full stroke and a good flood of water coming out of the spout?

I think your going to have to knock another pipe into the ground.

bob...

Hi Bob, no handle bounce back, one good solid stroke produce good water with sand.
    Byron

I would knock that down 10 more feet and you should be good.

SAM

Previous member

That's great, I wouldn't pump anymore from there, I would knock in another piece of pipe. Hopefully there is more water bearing sand below where you are now. By knocking in another you may raise the water level and/or at least get more water in the pipe.

Keep us up to date.

bob...

Ok I drove the pipe in another 3 feet. I hit something solid and cant drive the pipe in any deeper, I did bang on it with the post driver with no more success. The water is up the pipe 5 1/2 feet. What do you guys think? The well is down now about 21 feet total. I did pump about 5 gallons with the pitcher pump just to see how it looks, it produced water with sand. My back hurts, so i'll continue when I can borrow my buddys gas pump. Any more suggestions would be great!
    Byron

It would be nice if you could get that screen deeper but i guess you will have to deal with the depth its at. Get that gas pump and do a pump test.

SAM

Previous member

If it produces lots of water and the sand will clean up, you have a well. Beating on it will only put the point into hardpan or something else that does not contain water, so your as deep as you can go. Beating on it will also slinkie that SS well point. Let us know how the gas pump does.

bob...

Question

Here is some numbers to ponder. I have a total of 23 feet of pipe in the ground. I meausre down with the tape measure to 21 feet. So I have 2 feet of sand in the pipe. Now when I measure down with the string I have 5 1/2 feet of water in the pipe, if I suck out the sand should I be able to measure down the full length of the pipe and when I do the string test should I get 7 1/2 feet of standing water in the pipe once it has been cleaned out? I am on my way to get the gas powered pump. I'll be back later
    Byron

Previous member

That's a lot of sand Byron. If you can get it pumping with the gas pump, don't stop it if possible until the sand quits or slows down a bunch. If you fill the screen with sand, it won't start pumping again.

bob...

Exclamation

The gas pump didnt work, back to the hand pump!

Rancher

Did the gas pump perhaps need some priming?

I'm assuming a trash type gas pump...

Rancher