Shallow well

Users who are viewing this thread

Speedbump

Reaction score
Sammy's right Byron. But forget the gas pump at 30 feet. Or any shallow well type pump. 25 feet is the outer limit for lifting water vertically.

bob...

Byron1

Reaction score
Clear Refreshing WATER! WATER!

Ok Boys, listen up I have used the pitcher pump for the last time I hope! I got er' going and hooked up the electric pump and away she went. The water finally cleared up, I lost count with the hand pump for gallons, but I ran the electric pump for a hour with clear water coming out. I will give it a go again tomorrow. I will try to get some flow rates.
Byron

Byron1

Reaction score
GPM test

Ok, I have done a gpm test with the pitcher pump. I can fill the 5 gallon bucket in 1 minute and 12 seconds. or 72 seconds. What is my net step?
Byron

Speedbump

Reaction score
You have probably 10 gpm. Most 5 gallon buckets are more than 5 if you fill them to the top. Now you can buy a pump, tank and all other related items from me and make me happy too.

bob...

Sammyhydro11

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would pump that well for atleast 4 hrs with a jet pump to make sure its going to be a good well. I would also chlorinate it before the pump test and take a water sample when you are done to make sure its potable potable drinking water and to also see what you have for iron,ph,etc.

SAM

Byron1

Reaction score
Sammy, Bob, and who ever else, To clorinate the system do I need to put some type of injection system inline with the pump. I have never heard of this type of treatment for a well. could you give more info on it please. I will run the pump tomorrow for 4 hours. Anything I should look for other than the well going dry. I know this next subject is debated very much on this site so please no negative remarks! I am researching the CSV, I am trying to understand its process of how it interacts with the rest of the system, and how it could benefit my purposes. I will be using the well to water my lawn only.
Thanks
Byron

Sammyhydro11

In the Trades
Reaction score
Byron,
if you are only using this for irrigation,i wouldnt worry about chlorination.If you want to disinfect it just pour a quart of non scented bleach in the well,let it sit for a couple of hours and then start your pump test but the chlorination was was only a suggestion if you were going to use it for drinking purposes. Valveman can give you all the information you need on the CSV. Durring your pump test i would monitor the flow for consistancy. If you see the water start to pulsate slow it down a little until you have an even flow of water,test the gpm, and continue the pump test.You can slow the water down by a valve on the end of the discharge line or if you are running it off a garden hose just close the spigot a little.

SAM

Byron1

Reaction score
Cool tips, i'll run it tomorrow and see, also I was doing some gpm test today. I used the pitcher pump and could pump 5 gallons in 72 seconds. with the electric pump I could pump 5 gallons in under a minute, what do you think, I got the pump for free, I used it to pump out my well and noticed it wasnt up to par, so I tore it down and found some bad seals, replaced them at a cost of 6 bucks, the pump now runs like new!
Byron

Sammyhydro11

In the Trades
Reaction score
What kind of water are you hoping to get out of this well? If you are only looking to get 5 maybe 7 gallons per minuet,then pump it off with the pump you have. I would imagine that if the well put out more water than that you would want to utilize that gpm. What i always do when performing a pump test is i pump the well at the highest rate possible and when the water starts to pulsate that means i'm taking more out than the well will produce. I then close my discharge valve so i get an even steady flow. At that point i know what this well is capable of producing and then i will either continue the pump test at that rate or slow it down to what my customer is looking to get for water. Bottom line is unless the max that well produces is the 5 to 7 gallons per minute that your pump will put out i would go with a stronger pump tio really see what the well will do.

SAM

Byron1

Reaction score
I am hoping for enough water to water my lawn, I don't know what a good flow is or a bad flow is, if a 1/2 horse power pump is fine thats pumps 5 gallons in just under a minute then thats what i'll use, if I need a pump thats bigger then i'll have to save up for awhile and get a bigger pump. I am not looking for a elaberate setup something simple and basic to off set the cost of watering grass.
Byron
I really do appreciate your ideas and suggestions.

Sammyhydro11

In the Trades
Reaction score
Byron,
sounds good. I consider a rate of 7 to 12 gpm pretty good. Good luck with the pump test and let us know how you made out.

SAM

Byron1

Reaction score
4 hours of pumping the well!

It's been 4 hours of pumping the well, I have hung around checking on it, it is pumping great, I do notice just a little sand not much I don't think it is to be concerned with. Sammy What do you think. any suggestions from anyone or other steps to take.
Byron

Speedbump

Reaction score
Byron, turn off the pump for a few minutes then restart it. Hopefully the sand won't start again. But doing this several times not only might alert you of more sand, but it also helps in the development process.

bob...

Sammyhydro11

In the Trades
Reaction score
That sand thing is another reason why i said to pump that at a higher rate than your regular use. Anyway i would keep pumping it until its gone. You could try developing it more by dropping the prime and allowing the water to drop back down the well.You could plumb in a tee with a shut off valve coming off line from the tee and this would allow you to drop the prime quickly without having to disconnect the pump. Most screened wells that produce sand either have a break some where or they are under developed.I would have to say that yours is under developed. Sand can create havoc on your pump and your irrigation system. For the irrigation system,If the sand does not go away you could always install a fine mesh stainless filter with a purge valve below it for easy cleaning.

SAM

Byron1

Reaction score
Sounds Good, i'll try to develop the well more. I did run the pump a few more times today. I didnt check it for fine sand. Tomorrow i'll run it again. I will do short bursts of running the pump and opening the system to see if that helps.
Byron

Sammyhydro11

In the Trades
Reaction score
Byron,
every time you drop that the prime in the well,that whole column of water drops down and surges the screen. The more you do it the more you loosing up the fine sand around the screen and then it Will come through.By pulling those fines through you are creating a pocket of granular sand outside the screen.

SAM

Byron1

Reaction score
Shallow well all done!

Hi Guy's, I have finally got everything plumbed and installed. I have used to well several times now to water my lawn, It has run flawless. I have ran the pump for a couple of hours up to 5 hours watering my lawn with no problems what so ever. I want to thank all of you for your support and help getting me up and running!

Thank You !!!!
Byron

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks