Layout advice for new 3pc basement rough in

Users who are viewing this thread

jklaus

Reaction score
Hello,

I am installing a shower, sink and toilet in my basement. It currently doesnt have any pipes roughed in so have removed some concrete for the pipes.

Questions concern mainly venting. There is no venting which is accessible so the local inspector said they would allow me to use a AAV in this instance.

Good news is that the toilet will only be a couple feet from the main stack, and the shower 5ft from the main stack, inline with the toilet. Bad news is that the sink is at a 90o from toilet & shower line will be, and around 5ft away.

Main sewer coming in is a 4", so I planned to use a 4"x4"x3" wye laid on its side to reconnect the main 4" line and run the basement fixtures into the 3" opening. Right after the 4x4x3 wye I was planning on installing an inline 3" backwater valve which our local code requires. Then it gets a bit fuzzy.

I know I want to keep the trench work as little as possible so I was thinking of running a 3x3x1.5" wye where the 1.5" points up so I can have the sink drain horizontally before it drops down to the wye - so I wont have to trench for the 1.5" sink drain.

This is where the issue comes in - venting - plumbing inspector advised putting the aav 6" above the sink vent. I though to using a sanitary tee to put the aav above where the sink vented. Although Im not sure if this is in the proper location in relation to the toilet and shower.

After the 3x3x1.5" wye for the sink & AAV, I'd have a 3x3x2" wye for the toilet and shower - no vents inbetween here.

I'm not sure if this is acceptable? Concern is that the 3x3x1.5" wye for the sink and AAV is too far down stream from toilet & shower to vent it properly?

I'd appreciate any help or pointers.

Cheers, Jeff

jklaus

Reaction score
Hi,

Here is an attached zip file with a couple pdfs - couldnt figure out how to get small enough jpgs.

Cheers, Jeff

Attachments

• Basic Layout.zip
    53.6 KB · Views: 677

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
you are right on. The shower line has to continue a longer distance before connecting into the new line that the toilet is on, so it comes in right after - downstream of -- the sink and its AAV vent. Or right together with the sink.

Jeff, you are right that the shower and the toilet need a vent between them. Does your inspector confirm this?

david

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks