High Water Level in Toilet Bowl

Users who are viewing this thread

Chazzman

Reaction score

I have read many posts concerning Low Water Levels in the bowl.
My problem is High Water Level in the bowl. The toilet seems to flush OK, All the stuff flushes down. But the water level is just too high! Is it OK to Just not place the refill tube over the overflow tube to solve this problem:( :( :(

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
That would be one way to do it.
It would depend on the bowl as to how well it may flush that way, or whether it would cover the outlet in the bowl to seal.

Updated 10/30/2013
Korky now makes the 528MP fill valve that will adjust the bowl refill.

Last edited:

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
In addition to pulling the tube out of the overflow, you can try adjusting the fill valve to reduce the amount of water in the tank.

TedL

Reaction score
I thought that:

The refill into the overflow was important to ensure a full trap, even if the preceding flush occasionally siphoned the trap "dry", and thus was critical to have in place.
If the water level in a toilet suddenly rose, it was a sign of blockage, since the weir level in a toilet doesn't otherwise change.

What was my misunderstanding? The responses above seem to contradict my understanding of things.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I'm with tedl. In a functioning toilet, the water line in the bowl should be at the designed level, but now matter how much water came down through the refill, the bowl would never rise above that level. Perhaps the original poster could elaborate on what he means by "too high".

adman

Reaction score
jimbo said:
Perhaps the original poster could elaborate on what he means by "too high".

It sounds like the toilets where I work.

Not to be crude, but either the water level is "too high", or my balls hang down "too low"... :eek:

Adman

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The level in the bowl is a design thing and a toilet often won't work properly if it isn't filled to that point. Some toilets are designed with less standing water. The only reliable way to change it and have a toilet work properly is probably to find a toilet with the water to rim height more accommodating.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
But what about his family jewels turning into prunes? :rolleyes:

Chazzman

Reaction score
TedL said:
No prunes.

Once they hit the water, shrinkage will take care of things.

Not really shrinkage does not always occur especialy in the early AM
I have thought about the problem and think it is due to the flapper valve thingie staying open too long, thus letting in too much water into the bowl after the flush. I think Iwill change into a new style modern flapper:) :) :) :mad:

Jadnashua

Reaction score
A bowl is always overfilled and it always seeks its own level. Think of a glass, you can only fill it to the rim, and additional water you pour in overflows. Same happens in a toilet, except it goes down the drain. Not filling it to that overflow point means it won't operate per design. It still might flush okay, but maybe not. It is the volume and placement of the incoming water that implements the flush. If there isn't the right amount for the design in the bowl, it usually won't work right. Buy a different toilet...

Prashster

Reaction score
Dumb question:

Would adjusting the float downward affect the equilibrium water height in the bowl?

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
No such thing as a bowl with water too high. That's designed into the bowl.

so the refill fills the bowl to the traps overflow point and we all made sure when we repaired a toilet, it was set that way.

some service calls about a poor functioning toilet needed nothing more than to put the refill tube back onto the overflow pipe.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
You can't overfill the bowl unless it is clogged, so no, you can't get above the equilibrium point for long, it will drain itself out to that point. Now, if you set the float level too low, it won't run long enough to reach that point, but it almost certainly won't flush well either. Buy a different toilet. Unfortunately, you can't test run them in the store before you do, so look for one you like while out and about and note the model. Most of the modern toilets are criticized for having too little water, thus exposing things to skid marks if it doesn't rinse well, not having too much in there.

jeaukool

Reaction score
Think outside the box (bowl)

Try changing the seat to a handicap seat that has more cushion to increase the vertical height. :D

Last edited:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
It sounds like the toilets where I work.

Not to be crude, but either the water level is "too high", or my balls hang down "too low"... :eek:

Adman

Ahhh its tough when you get old and gravity takes its toll. Maybe its time to go to the guy that did the boob job and tummy tuck on the wife. LOL

JLovick

Reaction score
I was searching for info on how to lower the water in my toilet bowl and came across this forum. After reading your posts, there is still much confusion. My reason for wanting the water lowered is the simple fact that I cannot clean the toilet sufficiently with the water level just below the rim, plus our toilet seems to take an extremely long time to finish running after the flush. Please respond with a remedy to lower the water a little so that I can clean the dang thing. I also cannot place one of the gel cleaning/fresheners inn there because they are gone in just a few hours and being that this is my husband's toilet I need the continuous cleaning/freshening help. Thank you

Reach4

Reaction score
If your water level is just below the rim, that would seem to imply a clogged toilet. However you flush successfully. That means that you do not have a clogged toilet. Therefore the problem would seem to be in the design of the toilet. You cannot fill a non-clogged toilet higher than its design water level. The only good cure for that is to replace the toilet.

You might be able to work around the problem by limiting the bowl refill. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Fluidmaster-Water-Saving-Refill-Tube-215/202510400

Alternatively, get the Fluidmaster 8300P8 Flush 'N' Sparkle Toilet Bowl Cleaning System. The one with the white cartridge -- not blue or green. It keeps the bowl cleaner without having to stick something in the bowl.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Reaction score
A typical toilet bowl is sort of like a teapot...you can only put so much water into it before the excess goes out the spout down the drain or overflows onto the floor because it is clogged. BUT, toilets are designed for the bowl to BE full (and that's often about 5-6" from the rim on most toilets). As explained above, if everything is working properly, there's no way to lower the bowl water level and expect it to still flush properly.

It would be a very strange toilet design if it was full to just below the rim...there's something else going on here that needs to be fixed.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks