(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High Water Level in Toilet Bowl

Unhappy High Water Level in Toilet Bowl

I have read many posts concerning Low Water Levels in the bowl.
    My problem is High Water Level in the bowl. The toilet seems to flush OK, All the stuff flushes down. But the water level is just too high! Is it OK to Just not place the refill tube over the overflow tube to solve this problem

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

That would be one way to do it.
    It would depend on the bowl as to how well it may flush that way, or whether it would cover the outlet in the bowl to seal.

Updated 10/30/2013
    Korky now makes the 528MP fill valve that will adjust the bowl refill.
    Last edited by Terry; 10-30-2013 at 03:38 PM.

In addition to pulling the tube out of the overflow, you can try adjusting the fill valve to reduce the amount of water in the tank.

I thought that:

The refill into the overflow was important to ensure a full trap, even if the preceding flush occasionally siphoned the trap "dry", and thus was critical to have in place.
    If the water level in a toilet suddenly rose, it was a sign of blockage, since the weir level in a toilet doesn't otherwise change.

What was my misunderstanding? The responses above seem to contradict my understanding of things.

I'm with tedl. In a functioning toilet, the water line in the bowl should be at the designed level, but now matter how much water came down through the refill, the bowl would never rise above that level. Perhaps the original poster could elaborate on what he means by "too high".

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo
    Perhaps the original poster could elaborate on what he means by "too high".
    It sounds like the toilets where I work.

Not to be crude, but either the water level is "too high", or my balls hang down "too low"...

Adman

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

The level in the bowl is a design thing and a toilet often won't work properly if it isn't filled to that point. Some toilets are designed with less standing water. The only reliable way to change it and have a toilet work properly is probably to find a toilet with the water to rim height more accommodating.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Look on the bright side. Higher water line, less skid marks.

But what about his family jewels turning into prunes?

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by TedL
    No prunes.

Once they hit the water, shrinkage will take care of things.
    Not really shrinkage does not always occur especialy in the early AM
    I have thought about the problem and think it is due to the flapper valve thingie staying open too long, thus letting in too much water into the bowl after the flush. I think Iwill change into a new style modern flapper

A bowl is always overfilled and it always seeks its own level. Think of a glass, you can only fill it to the rim, and additional water you pour in overflows. Same happens in a toilet, except it goes down the drain. Not filling it to that overflow point means it won't operate per design. It still might flush okay, but maybe not. It is the volume and placement of the incoming water that implements the flush. If there isn't the right amount for the design in the bowl, it usually won't work right. Buy a different toilet...
    Jim DeBruycker
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Dumb question:

Would adjusting the float downward affect the equilibrium water height in the bowl?
    (important note: I'm not a pro)

No such thing as a bowl with water too high. That's designed into the bowl.

so the refill fills the bowl to the traps overflow point and we all made sure when we repaired a toilet, it was set that way.

some service calls about a poor functioning toilet needed nothing more than to put the refill tube back onto the overflow pipe.

You can't overfill the bowl unless it is clogged, so no, you can't get above the equilibrium point for long, it will drain itself out to that point. Now, if you set the float level too low, it won't run long enough to reach that point, but it almost certainly won't flush well either. Buy a different toilet. Unfortunately, you can't test run them in the store before you do, so look for one you like while out and about and note the model. Most of the modern toilets are criticized for having too little water, thus exposing things to skid marks if it doesn't rinse well, not having too much in there.
    Jim DeBruycker

Default Think outside the box (bowl)

Try changing the seat to a handicap seat that has more cushion to increase the vertical height.
    Last edited by jeaukool; 01-17-2008 at 09:04 PM. Reason: too big