Hot leak under-slab any advice ?

Users who are viewing this thread

florida1984

Reaction score
Seeking advise. I found my bathroom floor tiles warm but there is no water seeping through the slab. I had a licensed technician diagnosed the hot spots. Technician determined there is a hot leak. He advised us to turn off the hot water valve at night or if not using. My electric bill this year for month of Feb was $296.00 and March was $460.00. I have not received my water reading. The house is 50 years old with galvanized steel pipes under the concrete slabs. Got a quote from a licensed plumbing contractor for $4,600 to re-route the hot and cold pipes. Need advise which option should I choose?
1) Re-route and insulate copper pipes over flat roof
2) Re-route and insulate copper pipes around the outside of the house (under the eaves).
3) Check with the City and ask for their recommendation
I appreciate your input. Thanks.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
re-route pipes around sides of house

you are very lucky that you live in Florida...

around here you have to run them either in the attic
or overhead visible within the home and have someone box them in with wood ...

I would probably run them along the sides of the house
right up in the corners so they are not that visible and then drop down and then paint them because

if you ever need roof repairs or work done it could be an issue.... and the roof heat of probably 125++ in the summer will make the cold water lines seem hot , even if you insulate them...

the price is the only issue here... $4600 might not be all that bad--I dont know how big a house...

get some other estimates, and check the BBB

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
My preference (and I'm not a pro) would be to run them inside in a chase, maybe high up the ceiling unless a convenient place was found elsewhere. Running them in the attic can mean very hot cold water. Not too bad if you run them under the insulation right next to the roof, but still hot.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks