Toto's Softclose Seat

Users who are viewing this thread

Sanz

Reaction score
Toto Nexus
We installed a Nexus toilet and the softclose seat (elongated). The plumber hasn't worked with Toto products before. The seat moves side to side somewhat. We looked at it and the back piece seems to be tight, but the the seat moves. Is this usual for the softclose or is there something that needs to be tightened more that the plumber missed? On another note, this plumber was not happy installing these because they were "different" than the usual American Standard, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

SVTour98

Reaction score
Yes it is normal for it to move slightly from side to side. The actual mounting hardware that goes onto the bowl should not move, but there is a small amount of play in the seat itself. In the one-page installation instructions for the seat it actually mentions this and says it is normal.

Sanz

Reaction score
There is no mention of movement in the Installation Manual or instruction sheet that I have. I did notice they mention Anti-skid rubber seat stoppers but they are on the hinge case.

Does it just take getting used to that movement?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I've got several...never bothered me. I do notice it sometimes, but not worried about it falling apart or anything.

Toto has two different attachment bolts - one is a blind attachment plug for the type of toilet that doens't have a clear through-hole so you could attach th enut on the back side and another, more common plastic bolt set. Both of them allow movement some. You could try finding a collar to fill the hole through the toilet, but I don't know if it would help much. toto does make 3 or so different soft-close seats (not counting the colors or round vs elongated). I've never compared them side-to-side. The commercial ones might be heavier duty, but for home use, the standard one has held up fine for me.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
There is a little slack in the hinge.
It has never been a durability issue.

cst794_door.jpg

Last edited:

Sanz

Reaction score
Good to know it's not something unusual. We have an elderly relative coming to stay soon. Wanted to be certain it would not slide too much; the relative has a slight balance problem.

Thanks for the info.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks