(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Toto's Softclose Seat

Question Toto's Softclose Seat

Toto Nexus
    We installed a Nexus toilet and the softclose seat (elongated). The plumber hasn't worked with Toto products before. The seat moves side to side somewhat. We looked at it and the back piece seems to be tight, but the the seat moves. Is this usual for the softclose or is there something that needs to be tightened more that the plumber missed? On another note, this plumber was not happy installing these because they were "different" than the usual American Standard, etc.
    Last edited by Terry; 01-25-2009 at 02:19 PM.

Yes it is normal for it to move slightly from side to side. The actual mounting hardware that goes onto the bowl should not move, but there is a small amount of play in the seat itself. In the one-page installation instructions for the seat it actually mentions this and says it is normal.

There is no mention of movement in the Installation Manual or instruction sheet that I have. I did notice they mention Anti-skid rubber seat stoppers but they are on the hinge case.

Does it just take getting used to that movement?

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

I've got several...never bothered me. I do notice it sometimes, but not worried about it falling apart or anything.

Toto has two different attachment bolts - one is a blind attachment plug for the type of toilet that doens't have a clear through-hole so you could attach th enut on the back side and another, more common plastic bolt set. Both of them allow movement some. You could try finding a collar to fill the hole through the toilet, but I don't know if it would help much. toto does make 3 or so different soft-close seats (not counting the colors or round vs elongated). I've never compared them side-to-side. The commercial ones might be heavier duty, but for home use, the standard one has held up fine for me.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

There is a little slack in the hinge.
    It has never been a durability issue.

Last edited by Terry; 09-28-2007 at 07:54 PM.

Good to know it's not something unusual. We have an elderly relative coming to stay soon. Wanted to be certain it would not slide too much; the relative has a slight balance problem.

Thanks for the info.