1 1/2 inch yellow gas pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

Raeiken

Reaction score
I have 1 1/2 inch yellow gas pipe running about 80 ft from the meter to a 400K pool heater. At both ends there is a metal compression fitting which transitions to metal pipe. I have had leaks over the years in both of these fittings. Are there newer type compression fittings available for this purpose?

Thanks,
Ron

Markts30

Commercial Plumber
Reaction score
There are manufactured push on conversion fittings with steel pipe bends tapped at the exposed end made to convert from yellow plastic gas pipe (PE pipe) to steel...
However, if you don't know about them and how to install them, you should be leaving the fix to a pro...
A gas leak is a little more serious than a water leak....

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
gas

You are supposed to have a "meter riser" fitting at each end, and that is supposed to be the only metal. The connections are specific to the size pipe, IPS or CTS, and you should not be able to purchase them unless you have been certified as an installer.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
hj said:
and you should not be able to purchase them unless you have been certified as an installer.

So True. But, your average Joe Schmuck house burglar didn't use to know about or have access to locksmith info and specialty products. Today, thanks to the magic of the internet, entry to YOUR home is only a keystroke away:http://www.bumpkey.us/

Markts30

Commercial Plumber
Reaction score
hj said:
You are supposed to have a "meter riser" fitting at each end,.
Thanks - was having a "brain fart" and could not remember what they were called...
LOL

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
gas

But one thing that is not mentioned is the material. There was a PVC yellow gas pipe used 30 years ago with standard glued joints. It was quickly determined that the gas dissolved the glue, so that pipe was discontinued and yellow polyethylene took its place. If it is PVC pipe, then it should be replaced, or at least pressure tested at 60psi to verify that it is still intact.

Mattbee24

In the Trades
Reaction score
You don't have to be qualified to purchase the riser or fittings. You do however have to be qualified to install them. And in my area (Ohio) that is only the case from the tap to the meter. After the meter, the homeowner is allowed to install it themselves. As I said, that is just in my area. Other ares may have different codes. Also, again in my area, 1-1/2 gasline fittings are a very rare thing to come by. Not so much black pipe fittings, but risers and so forth.

SRdenny

Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
In California the inspector is supposed to ask for the installer's Operator Training Card. I had to take a class and then show proficiency in both Butt and Socket Fusion to qualify for mine.

Raeiken

Reaction score
This is Polyethylene

This pipe is only about 6 years old. As I mentioned I have had problems with leaking on both ends of this ( at meter and where it goes into pool equipment) Luckily both of these connections are outside. Remeber this pipe is being used after the meter, so it is at very low pressure, but I was still getting leaks.

Instead of trying to tighten the compression fitting, I took it apart to see if I could tell what was wrong. The fitting was very heavy duty metal, probably weighs a few pounds, but it is a pretty basic compression fitting. There is a metal flange about 6 inches long that slips inside of the pipe, then there are the two parts of the compression fitting and a rubber gasket which has some metal embeded ( I assume to keep it from deforming too much ). The thing that was odd when I took it apart was that the gasket was on a metal sleeve which then was on the outside of the pipe. When I looked at this it seemed that the metal sleeve would keep the gasket from sealing against the pipe. The more I looked at it, it seemed like this metal sleeve didn't belong and it was possibly just used to keep the gasket in shape during shipping.

I took that outside metal sleeve off and the fitting works perfect, no leaks. I have checked it a few times over the weekend, and still no leaks. If this were inside, I wouldn't be messing with it like this, but it is outside, and seems to be working perfectly.

Hopefully my discussion of this isn't too confusing. Anyone have any thoughts.

Thanks,
Ron

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks