Bathroom Reno

Users who are viewing this thread

Jedi

Reaction score
In the next few weeks I plan to start renovating my bathroom. I'm planning to strip it down to the studs and replace everything new. I'm pretty handy but have no formal experience doing this kind of stuff. Are there any books that you guys can recommed? I'm sure I'll be popping in here with some questions once the reno get going.

Thanks

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
That is a tall task, but the pieces taken individually are all reasonable DIY projects.

We would love to see some pictures as you go...before, after demo, during construction, etc.

Think of this project in major groups:
structural....integrity of the flooring, etc.
finish floor
walls (a) shower (b) the rest
fixtures....sink, toilet, tub
plumbing...the faucets, the toilet flange, the pipes in the walls.
electrical....lights, fans, outlets

Any home store, and especially your local library, will have an assortment of books. I would start by just browsing anything you can get your hands on. Your own house never seems to look exactly like the pictures in the book, but it gives you an idea what your are getting into.

This forum, and others, are excellent places to get helpful info. The more specific you can focus your questions, the better the answers you can get. Don't hesitate to come back here often. If this project takes you a year, your wife may not be happy but we will be with you every step of the way!!

Possible first thing to think about: Water. Assuming this project will last a while at least, you are going to need to be able to shut off or cap off the water to the sink, toilet, and tub so the water can be on in the rest of the house. Take a look at your situation, and this might bring up the first questions you need to throw at us.

OK, time to get to it!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
redo

The very first thing you will have to do, once you have finished your "Builder Bob's crash course in contracting", is draw a blueprint and submit it to the local building department. THEY will tell you what has to be changed to meet THEIR codes.

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
hj said:
The very first thing you will have to do ... is draw a blueprint and submit it to the local building department. THEY will tell you what has to be changed to meet THEIR codes.

If, that is, you might subscribe to a "Big-Brother-always-knows-best" kind of mindset. Personally, I prefer to think for myself while also considering the issues and reasons behind various codes that merely establish a certain norm and levels of function and safety that are acceptable to insurance companies and various other interested entities. In any case, there are people here who can help you be sure you do not gas everybody out for the sake of a vent or burn down your house via faulty wiring.

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
2nd bathroom available, during downtime of this bathroom.

Tolerance level to dust(s) of various kinds has to be high.

Able to communicate well, for each decision to make, about the spaces available and the physical constraints.

Able to understand that when two elements are independent not to mix them up.

-------
these are the ingredients necessary for marital harmony.

David

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
?

If, that is, you might subscribe to a "Big-Brother-always-knows-best" kind of mindset. Personally, I prefer to think for myself while also considering the issues and reasons behind various codes that merely establish a certain norm and levels of function and safety that are acceptable to insurance companies and various other interested entities.

Big Brother does not always know best, but he does know what he will accept or reject, regardless of whether your opinion says it SHOULD be accepted by the various codes and governing bodies. If he wants to go beyond the "minimum" level, then he is free to do so, but since he is asking questions the implication is that he does not even know the minimum level required for his, or any other, area. We can TELL him how to install things so that he does not kill anyone or burn the house down, but we cannot make sure he does it that way, which is why a local building inspector HAS to check the work.

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
you can be pretty sure that someone asking if any beginner's book is better than any other, is a beginner. Even someone asking if any book is any better than any other book.

So, knowing that, and knowing also that you want to keep your workload down to a reasonable amount and not increase it by exponential proportions, you probably do want to say the minimum permissible to a newbie like this, and not encourage him to believe he can decide what to do about codes once he knows a little more about the why's behind the code.

that's my take on how things are, which nobody asked for. :)

i notice there has been a big change in the patterns recently. Fewer posts in general. And many other changes in the type of post and thread started here in this web site. Interesting to see how this will develop.

david

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
hj said:
Big Brother ... does know what he will accept or reject ...

... but we cannot make sure he does it that way, which is why a local building inspector HAS to check the work.

I do not want to get into any kind of war here, hj, so maybe we can find a way to agree on some things ...

I do not know all the civil laws in all states, but I have yet to hear of any homeowner ever going to jail for not having a local building inspector inspect his work. And while a well driller might lose his license or something like that for putting in a well without either he or the homeowner first obtaining a permit, for example, I am still free to pull water out of the ground on my own property in just about any way I might choose for just as long as I do not take away all of your or anyone else's water or contaminate it. Overall, I accept your thoughts on these kinds of matters just as worthy of consideration as my own.

geniescience said:
you can be pretty sure that someone asking if any beginner's book is better than any other, is a beginner.

You, David, are the first one to use the word "beginner" here ...

How is it that thought was even in your mind?

geniescience said:
... you want to keep your workload down to a reasonable amount and not increase it by exponential proportions, [so] you probably do want to say the minimum permissible to a newbie ...

Short of something like telling a three-year-old how to load a gun, my thinking is precisely the opposite.

geniescience said:
i notice there has been a big change in the patterns recently. Fewer posts in general. And many other changes in the type of post and thread started here in this web site. Interesting to see how this will develop.

When people feel welcomed, comfortable and relatively safe, they post!

It really is that simple, really.

Toolaholic

General Contractor Carpenter
Reaction score
Genisience I agree

I look at posts like this and shake My head. There's a good chance things will be hacked,unsafe or both? Than the house is sold with the flaws covered up in the walls. I love to help,and do. Sometimes ,like now,I wonder what the heck am I doing ! I shouldn,t be enabeling this disaster about to happen!
Does anyone have a self imposed rule where they won't enabel?

Don't mean to be a hard ass .

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
toolaholic said:
I shouldn,t be enabeling ...

As best I can tell, you have not been.

toolaholic said:
Does anyone have a self imposed rule where they won't enabel?

Personally, I have plenty. But at the moment, there is nothing here to get all worked up about:

Jedi said:
In the next few weeks I plan to start ...
I'm planning to ...
I'm pretty handy but have no formal experience ...
Are there any books that you guys can recommed? I'm sure I'll be popping in here with some questions once the reno get going.

Now go back and look at the direct responses above and tell us all what you believe should *not* have been said to Jedi. If someone has done something wrong here, please make it clear!

Apart from the arrogant and irrelevant comments made, all I see is a guy who is interested, willing and teachable getting a few questions answered.

Jedi

Reaction score
Well I guess my general question has really stirred things up.

First of all I'd like to say that I'm very new to this forum and having looked at past postings I have found them to be very informative. I appreciate any and all info anyone cares to make.

I hadn't though about getting permits since I wasn't going to change anything structural or electrical. You do make a good point about how codes could have change since the bathroom was originally built.

I plan on replacing everything in the bathroom with new items. These items are tub, shower surround, taps, fan, window, toilet, vanity, sink, medicine cabinet, light fixture. I'll try to post some pictures later today.

It is the only bathroom in the house and once the tub/shower and toilet are gone we'll move in with my parents. I of course want to keep this time down to a minimum. I plan on replacing the exhaust fan and possibly the window before we need to move out. I will also be enlisting the help of a friend and my dad during the reno.

Jim,
You make a good point about the water. Both the sink and toilet have shut offs. As for the shower I was going to cap off the line once I got to that point. But your question make me think what if I installed valves on the lines going up to the tub/shower?

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
Jedi said:
It is the only bathroom in the house and once the tub/shower and toilet are gone we'll move in with my parents. I of course want to keep this time down to a minimum.

Maybe you will do better, but my projects always end up taking far longer than I had imagined/estimated:

Two days turn into four weeks; one week turns into two months; three months become six years ...

Keep us posted, eh?!

TedL

Reaction score
Test all your piping connections before closing anything up. Use test caps/plugs, etc., including on the tub spout and shower arm so you can turn on the tub/shower faucet, and leave it turned on overnight if there are no initial leaks.

If you're not rearranging the layout, you should not have to worry about getting the drain/waste/vent right, often the most difficult part. That's assuming they work well now. Use plastic to replace any DWV worn out or damaged. Replace any S or drum traps.

You'll get a lot of help from a lot of knowledgable people here if you help yourself with good pictures, descriptions, and clear questions. Take the time to write carefully, and re-read it before you post.

How old is the house, and what's the current supply & DWV piping?
Even if living elsewhere for a few weeks, it's tough to work there without a toilet. Are you on slab or basement, or 2nd floor bath? What's the current floor material, and what are you changing to?

Jedi

Reaction score
The house is 55 years old. I bought it about 5 years ago. The previous owners had the cast iron tub painted a beige color. In the last 5 years I've had the finish on the tub repaired by the tub refinishers 4 times until they said it was off warrenty and I would have to pay to get it recoated. As you can tell from the pictures the tub used to be blue. The house is a 1 story house with a full basement. The floor in in the bathroom if vinyl but I peeked underneat it and it looks like really small tiles 1/2" x 1/2". The DWV piping is cast iron.

bath1.jpg

bath2.jpg

bath3.jpg

bath4.jpg

Jedi

Reaction score
The reason for the reno is to update the look of the bathroom and the tub. I've had bad luck with this coating peeling away and want a deeper tub with air jets (the window also used to leak). After having updated all of the other rooms in the house this one really looks out of place.

TedL

Reaction score
Things to consider.........

For the tub, and general bath outlets and perhaps a supplemental heater, you're going to want another two or three circuits. Does your existing panel have space?

Are there any issues with the toilet?
Is the subfloor around it in good condition?
What do you want to do for the new floor?

Replacing the (galvanized??) that runs from the individual fixtures to the cast iron drains.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks