Please Help-Water spots soaking through carpet

Users who are viewing this thread

Laeverett1

Reaction score
If anyone can give me any direction, I would be very appreciative. I have searched online and cannot find any info about this particular issue. I have water seeping up through my carpet in the living room, hallway and bedroom closet (all downstairs). This has occured before in the living room and has always dried up within a week. It is not drying up this time. It is soaking wet, but the spots are contained to small areas. About 2x2 areas. It does not spread. I have checked all of the walls and areas like ice maker, freezer, etc and cannot find any signs of a leak. Can anyone point me in some direction? THANK YOU!!!!!!!!

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Unfortunately, you can't find answers to problems like this in a book. The water has to be coming from a pipe that is leaking, so you're just going to have to look harder to find it. Is there a pipe under the floor where the wet spots occur? Since water doesn't run uphill, if there is a leak under the floor it should show even more water under the pipe that is leaking. Since water can follow floor joists for some distance before surfacing, the leak may not be directly under the wet spots in the carpet.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I'm guessing that this is a carpet on the ground floor slab? If so, has it been raining a lot lately? Could it be ground water coming up through a crack? If not, then you may have a water leak in your plumbing if the pipes run in the slab. Turn everything off and then go look at your water meter. Is it still turning? If so, it may be time to jack up the slab or rerun the pipes a different route. If they are under or in the slab and are leaking in one point, they probably are leaking or soon will be in others. Once this starts, you need to think about replacing them - often through the attic as it is usually the least disruptive, but may not be the best depending on where you live.

Roy Nakamura

Reaction score
I just remodeled one of my rental units last month. I ripped up the plastic tile floor in the kitchen and noticed that the wood floor was a little moist. I ripped up the subfloor and there it was...appearently 15 years ago somebody pierced the copper supply line with a very small nail. Perhaps if there were carpet it would have sprayed up for a few months before the calsium deposits built around it. I'm not sure you're issue is the same as mine...but just and FYI.

Laeverett1

Reaction score
Yes, the three water spots are all near walls, but not the same wall. I have hot water.

Thank you to everyone who has replied. The replies have given me a few ideas, but I am begining to think this is not going to be simple repair.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
leak

Until you know what is actually leaking, you cannot have any idea as to the degree of difficulty the repair would be. At least if you anticipate a major repair and it turns out to be a simple one, you can breathe a sigh of relief.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks