Low Flow toilet retrofit question

Users who are viewing this thread

ssgilison

Reaction score
I am selling my house and the buyer is insisting that we replace the commercial grade toilet with a low flow toilet. The bathroom is an original spanish style bathroom that is in exceptional condition however, due to California law, the low flow toilet is a must. In replacing it, we figure that we will need to open the wall behind the toilet and not be able to replace the tiles with matching tiles, thus ruining the integrity of the bathroom. In addition the base of the toilet will be set back a few inches which means we will also have to replace the floor.

Do you have any advice on how to either alter the toilet we currently have or find a toilet of the same design but that meets low flow standards. I am at a loss here and cleary not seasoned in this sort of thing. A photo of the toilet is attached. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_0801.jpg
    IMG_0801.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 689

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Well, if you are lucky, the water line could get covered up with the tank. First thing is to measure from the wall to the bolt holes holding the toilet down. If that distance is 12", then the toilet is set at the most common size. They nominally come in 10, 12, or 14" rough-in toilets. Then, you'd need to poke a hole and reroute a water supply line to the lower left side of the toilet. If that isn't an outside wall, it might be much cleaner to do it from the other side. All in all, you'd still have a hole in the wall, but it wouldn't be too bad.

I'm not sure, but some of that type of flush mechanism may only use a small amount of water. In other words, many of that type already are low-flow...one of the pros will know. If you look up the specs on that valve, you may be able to tell the volume it uses per flush.

ssgilison

Reaction score
forgive my ignorance

But how do I look up the specs on the valve? I get what you are saying but still am anything but a pro on this stuff. Regardless, I can't tell you how much I appreciate your feedback. thanks!

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
You can get a new commercial toilet and a 1.6gpf flushometer valve. The sloan Royal closet -flushometer is 1.6, and all the major toilet manufacturers make a 1.6 gallon commercial toilet. You should be able to do this without disturbing the tile at all.

ssgilison

Reaction score
Any chance you can be more specific as to exactly what I need to buy? Thank so much.

Mattbee24

In the Trades
Reaction score
for instance....you can purchase a Gerber 25-644 which is a 12" rough in floor mounted back spud toilet. This is pretty much the same thing as what you currently have, except it is a 1.6 gpf. Then replace the old flush valve with a Sloan 120-1.6. Again, pretty much the same thing you currently have except in a 1.6 gpf. Another option on the flush valve would be to just change the diaphragm assembly. But that all depends on the manufacturer of the old flush valve. It doesn't look like a Sloan or Zurn flush valve, so I can't give you any specifics. It might be a Delaney flush valve, which, at least in my area (ohio) are king of hard to come by.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
A plumber would be able to help you select exactly what model you need. Before purchase, he would determine the floor rough-in measurements and the dimensions of the piping layout to make sure to get items which will work in your spot.

Last edited by a moderator:

ssgilison

Reaction score
Thank You

You may have just saved our house selling deal! Thank you so so so much.

ssgilison

Reaction score
Valve

I just looked at the valve and it appears to be a sloan valve. I don't know what model (or if that matters) and but ideally would want to replace the diaphragm and be done with it. Any guidance as to what I would need to buy?

The toilet appears to be Washingtom Flyer(or something like that, hard to read) ...

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Some, but not all, toilets like that will probably work with less than their originally designed water volume. The most reliable thing would be to buy a new toilet and valve to replace what you have that are designed and certified as 1.6g. Some of the manufacturers tried to just cut down the water volume on their old toilets, but they didn't flush well. That's mainly why they got a bad rep - poor performance. the companies that redesigned their toilets to use the smaller flush often work better than the old guzzlers but people still have the impression none of them work. Without knowing the specifics of your valve and toilet, you wouldn't know how well it would work if the flush volume was cut down. You could try just replacing the valve and see, but my guess is you may be back to replace the toilet as well. If you are paying a plumber for this work, cost wise and confidence wise, do them both at the same time to save a second service all if just the valve doesn't do it.

Mattbee24

In the Trades
Reaction score
Since it is a Sloan flush valve, the least expensive thing to do would be to try the new diaphragm first. It is a sloan model A-41-A. It is a fairly simple procedure, but I don't like to tell anyone to try it themselves. If the toilet doesn't flush well after that, then go to the new toilet idea.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks