(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Kinetico K40 unit Malfunction

DIY Junior Member

Default Kinetico K40 unit Malfunction

The brine tank fills with water and dissolves all the salt. The unit is not producing soft water. I cleaned the tank and float assembly. I removed and cleaned out the tank head unit. The unit goes through its cycles just fine.

I have no clue as to why it fills up the brine tank and does not suck the water back out of the tank. Any help would be appreciated.

The usual causes of too much water in the brine tank are: loose brine line connections allowing air to be sucked rather than heavy brine, kinked/blocked drain line, blocked injector or injector throat, or a control valve internal water leak to the brine line/tank during service or in Kinetico's a leaking float valve in the brine tank. They use a cheap float valve design instead of a real brine valve to set the salt dose water level and they leave/allow full line pressure on it in the service position.
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.