Toto Dalton toilet review, owner comments and pictures. CST734F

Users who are viewing this thread

Perfectionist

Reaction score
cst733f-02.jpg

Dalton with very wide floor molding behind the bowl.

Hi all,

Any owner or plumber feedback?

- Is it good, despite it's "only" a Gravity model? It's on Terry's list, though...
- Does it have good bowl wash?
- How about splashing?
- Could it accommodate a baseboard that is 3 inches thick and 6 inches high, below its tank?

The latter measures are not shown on . It seems to be the case, but we have to be 100% sure prior to ordering it...

https://terrylove.com/pdf/S-733F-0302.pdf

Thank you very much!

P.S. I've started a thread about the baseboard problem, but the names of the two toilets I would like feedback on are burried into it... Sorry for the overlap! I started these two extra thread since we have to order our toilet real soon since it might take up to 6 weeks to receive one. Plus it might be good for other members or surfers to see threads that are specific to these models. Well hopefully so! ;)

The TOTO Dalton is now a discontinued model.
You can no longer get the:
CST733F
CST734F
June 2011

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
rather that repeat ourselves...just do a search...lots of comments on Drakes - nearly all good. Look in the blue bar above for the search function.

Perfectionist

Reaction score
Searching in the forum

jadnashua, you're right, I forgot to search for "dalton" (not "drake") !

Shame on me, especially since I usually search like crazy.

Thanks for your reminder!

Perfectionist

Reaction score
Search results

Here are some comments about the Toto Dalton, that I have found on this forum.

1) Is it good?

Very good, it seems so:

- "The Dalton is a good value for the money, better than Cimarron and Champion for what it does."

- "it is fantastic"

- "has a conventional flush valve and works MUCH better than the Champion."

- "I have actually been putting some extra wads of TP in to see if I can slow it down................ It just "laughs" at me and gobbles it down!!"

- "You can't go wrong with the Toto Drake and a few others, Caroma, Aquia, Ultramax, Dalton, Gerber Ultraflush"

- Dalton vs. Eljer Titan: "There are quite a few in the Toto line that I would prefer installing. …If you can find the elongated version of the Toto Dalton, that would work fine too."

- "The flush is, indeed, great; I have no complaints whatsoever. It is much better than the 3.5 gpf I had."

- "doesn’t clog at all"

- "semi-high performance flush"

- "Pure Flushing Performance (best to good): AS Champion, Drake, Dalton"

- "competes well with the Eljer Titan"

2) Does it have good bowl wash?

OK, but not the best, I might say:

- "rinses well"

- "It has good bowl rinse too."

- "Even though the Dalton is fairly thin on wash, it's an improvement over the Cimarron."

- "... it seems the water sits too low in bowl which allows tp to settle on the bowl sides, sometimes have to double flush to remove sticking tp from sides, but otherwise very good"

- "The Drake edges out the Dalton in clearing the bowl."

- "... rinse is straight down"

- "I would rate the Dalton's wash as poor"

Snowman's trick re Dalton bowl wash:

https://terrylove.com/forums/showpost.php?p=11229&postcount=6

3) How about splashing?

- Toto toilets splash: "The CST703 through CST714 have shallow bowls and use the "wash down" flush. They work well, but have more splash than I like...

The Dalton does not splash. The Dalton with the 2" flush valve has a deeper bowl too. CST733F"

The new Promenade toilets CST424SF and CST424EF do not splash either.
Another one to mention would be the Toto Dalton, good performance and good bowl."

4) Could it accomodate a baseboard that is 3 inches thick and 6 inches high, below its tank?

- "A heater behind the toilet? You might try the Gerber 21-318
or Toto Dalton CST734F"

OTHER

- "It’s quiet"

- "Quality of Product (flush noise, fill noise, assembly): Drake, Dalton, As Champion"

- "... the pull on the leaver is almost instant flush / gone and the tank fills up again..."

rosy

Reaction score
Toto Dalton

Had this toilet installed a month ago. The Good: Very quiet for master bath, is ADA for my bad knees, Depth is only 26" which is very hard to find for an ADA round toilet seat.

Perfectionist

Reaction score
Thanks Rosy!

We finally picked the Drake. We decided to get rid of the electric baseboard below the tank. I hope that we will like our Toto seat a bit more than you have! Good luck with the other seats that you'll try.

Peanut9199

Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale
Reaction score
Just had a call from a customer about the Carusoe splashing, they called Toto and they said replace it with a Dalton.

Also found out you can use a Carusoe tank on a Dalton bowl.
This is good because Carusoe makes a lined tank and Dalton does not.
So you can now have a "Comfort Height" bowl and a Lined tank.

cpqal

Reaction score
Great Toilet Over All

I installed a regular length ADA height Dalton by myself back in June of this year. I am very satisfied with it. As to your questions:

-Is it good, despite it's "only" a Gravity model?
I love it. I continue to be amazed at how it can evacuate everything in the bowl so quick with so little water, and I am a big guy.

- Does it have good bowl wash?
There is no swirling action but in 3 months it has never clogged and I have only used a brush once. I did wax the inside of the bowl before installing so I don't know how much a difference that might be making for awhile.

- How about splashing?
I have not noticed any splashing at all.

- Could it accommodate a baseboard that is 3 inches thick and 6 inches high, below its tank?
Wow, that is some baseboard! I put a rule to mine and don't believe you would have a problem.

dalton_behind_bowl.jpg

nnotsoo

Reaction score
Dalton vs Drake = a stripped V8 vs a loaded V8!

Dalton is a low end ADA. You get less for the $$, spend the extra, get a Drake 1.6 or 1.2, with G-Max/E-Max- (same thing) and if you can spend the extra get the Drake in Sana-Gloss, and FEEL THE DIFFERENCE!!

Greg S:)
Dixieline - Pro-Build

Basement_Lurker

One who lurks
Reaction score
Wow, lol, I think the toto sof close seats are actually the most comfortable seats that I have ever sat on. And the soft close feature is totally outweighs any negative points a person might have with the seat. But that's just my opinion, I just didn't think someone would object so strongly to these seats! :)

Ralphbou

Reaction score
new dalton

I installed a DALTON yesterday and gave it a good load, the Dalton flushed it quietly and with authority this is a very good john. Look nicer installed then in picture.I did not find any thing wrong with the seat, feel solid and the closing mechanism feel superior to every one I tried in stores.A very Happy owner

DIY Duder

Reaction score
I found a brand new Dalton ADA on craigslist for $50 so I figured I couldn't go wrong. Well, I didn't. :) I also put an AS champion 4 in my other bathroom too. That's about the extent of my toilet installation expertise! lol The installation was a little easier on the Dalton. So far no problems or clogs and I have tried to clog it with some excessive amounts of TP without getting it to clog. Good looking little toilet too! The only thing is it seems like, from what I here, the Drake is not that much more, less then 100bucks more and has a lot more power. If I were paying full price, it seems to me like buying coffee at 7/11, you may not need the extra 8oz’s more, but it’s only another 20cents and maybe you’ll want it. (Dalton 150/Drake 240 from Terry) But if you do really want to keep the costs down, it’s been great so far.

RonB-Chicago

Reaction score
Dalton Insulated Tank Question

I'm looking to install a Dalton toilet with an insulated tank. (require the tall and smaller round depth dimension of the Dalton bowl) Humidity causes condensation. I believe I read somewhere on Terry's forums where a fellow installed a Carusoe (insulated) tank on his Dalton bowl. I'm wondering where this fellow learned about making this switch? I'm wondering if it worked out OK? I'm wondering if Toto informed this fellow of this option, as you purchase toilets by tank numbers and bowl numbers. I'm wondeng if anyone else has tried this type installation, or knows anything about doing something like this?

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you are replacing an old many gallon toilet with a new, 1.6g toilet, you may not get condensation. It is possible if you have repeated flushes, though. These newer toilets do not use all the water in the tan, so depending on how long it has been sitting there, that warmer water will mix with the incoming colder water and often will stay above the dew point. But if multiple people use it in a row, it would end up with all cold in there, and that could cause condensation. Also, with the low volume of water needed to refill, the water in the lines is likely much warmer than it would be if you were trying to refill a 5-7 gallon tank. For many people, it is a non-issue. Other than an insulated tank, which still could get damp if flushed numerous times in a row, addiing a tempering valve to warm the water always works and may be an alternative over buying a new tank.

RonB-Chicago

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply Jim. This is a very good point. My old toilet is a Kohler that I installed in about 1980. It uses about 4 gallons per flush, and does nearly use all the water in the tank per every flush. Here in Chicago, the temp and humidity can swing a lot in just a few days. So air con does not come on until the weather finally settles down. This Kohler sweats easily under these conditions. I did my own tank insulation years ago, and it worked great. If the water does not totally empty the new Dalton tank, I might be OK. I will be installing the new Dalton in about 2 weeks. I just noticed that another fellow purchased a different tank for his Dalton that had the insulation.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Most new toilets only use a little water in the tank.
I doubt with only 1.6 gallons leaving the tank, that condensation would be an issue.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
cst733f-01.jpg

Adding this picture to the thread.
I used to sell the Dalton as one of the low end TOTO models. It worked just fine, but it's now discontinued.
CST733F
My brother had them and liked that they were a taller bowl and that they worked well.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks