(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I have an Apprenticeship interview with the Committee and I need advice!

Default I have an Apprenticeship interview with the Committee and I need advice!

Hello. My interview is going to be in about 5 days, and I'd like to ask some of you experienced Journeymen (or experienced apprentices) for advice.

What are some key points I should be sure to mention, and not to mention?

If my job history (retail) doesn't have much to do with experience with the Plumbers union, what are some ways I can swing that to my favor? Such as communication (considering I'm not sure if even that will help.)

What are some REALLY good things I can know about the company, that I could mention during the interview that will make me stand apart?

Any advice you guys or girls can give me will really help me out. All help is always appreciated.

J,

Is this in Minnesota? I am going for my third attempt in three yeears in five days also! I wish I knew, as I have placed in the 90's for the first two attempts out of 300+ applicants.
    If so, they will call you into a room with ten people that will watch you while one of them will ask you ten questions. It will be over before you even knew what happened.
    They will ask:
    why do you think you will be a good plumber
    where do you see yourself in ten years
    if your journeyman says you are wrong, and you disagree, what will you do
    What edjucation have you had
    what are your two biggest accomplishments
    what is your current work
    what do you think a plumber does
    how did you hear about this program
    What are your hobbies

I can't think what else, but just answer them honestly.

ps.
    I work for a large bank balancing atm's, and I think that is a major hit against me having a desk job
    Last edited by billsnogo; 03-29-2007 at 05:51 AM.
    wannabe plumber, trying to get into an apprenticeship

Default interview

I think the biggest question would be, "Why do you want to be a plumber?" Answer that question honestly, if you really know the answer, and it might make a difference.

^Definitely

geniescience - Ahh... I read the entire two pages. Interesting. I know what NOT to do once I become an apprentice lol.

billsnogo - Wow thanks for the help. But wow, the third time? That sorta makes me a little nervous. I'm really going to have to sweep these guys off their feet . Once again thanks for your help! I appreciate it.

Keep the posts comming you guys, the more help the better. I really appreciate it.

Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area

Been there done that.

From an inside source of the union back in the day......

They cherry pick the ones who have excelled or performed above and beyond their call of duty in whatever profession they are in.

Like the lead man at a bread company (being union going into union shines the door sill)

Also showing a high attendance rate with very little health problems.

If you're track record is choppy going into the apprenticeship, you'll find yourself working another profession trying forever to get into the door.

If you watched "The Apprentice"........it's pretty much what they want....top of the line.

That first and second year is painful on the wage earning.......better hope you have a backup plan if you get in and end up spending more time on the bench than working. < That will have you on prozac.
    Read what the end of this sentence means.

Master Plumber master plumber mark's Avatar
    indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of the brave....
    Blog Entries

Talking son -in -laws

Around here,,,,I have heard that the sons
    and son in laws and cousins of people already in
    UNIONS get preferrential treatment

and of course they dont have to kiss ass like
    the non-related apprentices have to...

its like that everyhwere I suppose...

Default apprentice

and of course they dont have to kiss ass like
    the non-related apprentices have to...

If I had had to do that I probably would never have made it.

Quote Originally Posted by RUGGED
    That first and second year is painful on the wage earning.......better hope you have a backup plan if you get in and end up spending more time on the bench than working. < That will have you on prozac.
    So they tend to not use the 1st and 2nd year apprentices much? Maybe I would be better off then non-union. I really need at least an average of 35 hours a week.
    wannabe plumber, trying to get into an apprenticeship

I KNOW that I would have never made it. Thank God all I had to do was take an open book test and pay $125 to get my license... of course, I had to have documented experience to get in the door. I doubt I could get a union job...not with my attitude. I want things right and don't suck up to some drunk boss who always needs a shave and another beer.

Your hours and bosses depend on your local situation. Usually, unions don't take apprentices just to let them sit on the bench. Even if a shop is union, drunk foremen don't usually make them money and they don't last, if a guy makes money for the shop, they usually overlook his foibles. I told the board I wanted out of the factory and into a craft where I could see what I did at the end of the day and feel like I made a difference. I didn't know anybody in the union but scored high enough to get in.

lol No no, the topic is way misunderstood. I mean, I want to BECOME a Apprentice. I'm not even an Apprentice yet. That's what my interview is about.

Any takers?

Default apprentice

When I went through it, and maybe it still is there, an apprentice was hired "for the duration", and did not go from company to company. We stayed with the same employer all the way through, but other locals may have different policies.

Default smart guess?

my guess is that looking at the big picture from the longest possible timeframe and perspective, the "Examiners" will be thinking mostly of your "Chances for Success" in the profession. Their goal is to accept people who will stay in the business, remain honest, and train other apprentices too. In the short term, whether you can handle a job that puts your body into action every day will be a big concern too, in my Guesstimation. You need core body strength, in your torso, don't you? And you are not doing anything physical on a daily basis, are you? Hmm...

i am saying this from having seen similar situations in other "Selection Committees" some of which I have been a member some of which I have heard about from its members.

The goal for any selection committee is to let people in, who are going to succeed in the path chosen. For the duration meant in the longest possible timeframe imaginable.

Your discussing this with the committee, openly, is one good way to make them all hear that you have thought about all this.

David

Default apprentice

But then you could have a situation like New York City years ago, where they took in a lot of apprentices, but they turned very few of them into journeymen so as to not dilute the pool, and kept all the "old timers" working.