Armacell Armaflex + Pex + Joist = ?

Users who are viewing this thread

OldPete

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
So you've done a nice neat PEX job. And, like a good plumber would, you want to protect and insulate with the best... Armaflex from Armacell... now -- you come up to a run that is talon clipped to a joist. No way to get the Armaflex around the pipe. But you STILL would like to protect it.

What do you do?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pex

Protect it from what? The Talon is protecting it from damage, the Armorflex is for insulation, so you cut it out a bit to fit around the anchor, unless you want to get anchors that fit around the Armorflex.

OldPete

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
The talon is holding the tube up against the joist -- you can't get the Armaflex around the tube because the joist is in the way...

What do folks do?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
insulate

Insulate up to it, and around it. Although, if the pipe is straight, you must be deflecting it at the other joists in order to snap the insulation around it.

gfors7

Reaction score
Solution

Me personally, I plan ahead. If I'm planning on insulating, instead of using tube talons, I cut 6" pieces of insulation, and use appropriately sized galvanized 2 hole straps around the pieces of insulation. Then when I come back to insulate after inspection, I can just insulate up to the 6" pieces, works great, and actually fast.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks