(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Glacier Bay toilet from Home Depot, Consumer reviews, pics, comments

MIKE IN CALIFORNIA, I have 2 Glacier Bay Flapperless system toilets 1.28 GPF from Home Depot and paid $88 as well. THEY ARE EXCELLENT, only issue i have had is a broken flush knob and the seat screws need to be tighten well or will come loose, can not ask more out of an $88 toilet. I also own 2 Toto's which r the Lamborghini of toilets but paid $350.00 for each. Can anyone assist me in locating a new G B flush knob please thank you. Claudio
    Last edited by cnaran36; 12-21-2009 at 02:37 PM.

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Can anyone assist me in locating a new G B flush knob
    Doesn't Home Depot carry parts on the shelf for their toilets?

Oh, that's right, they don't.
    And that's why plumbers won't be installing a toilet that nobody carries parts for.

Last edited by Terry; 01-12-2012 at 05:39 PM.

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years johnjh2o1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post

And that's why plumbers won't be installing a toilet that nobody carries parts for.
    I think there next to there temporary toilets.

John

Actually, I applied common sense, the tank empties in less than three seconds and there is no way that another 1.7 gallons of water can enter and escape. No, trust me, its accurate despite what others would like to think.

Blog Entries

The tank holds about three gallons.

So if you have to hold the handle down for a complete flush, you are using three gallons.
    What a waste.

Default Foremost Sedona toilet and tank MAP rating is 300 grams

Hi. I called the manufacturer's customer help line printed on the side of the box, gave them the Foremost Sedona toilet tank Model number T1-001WL and the kind gentleman advised me that the MAP rating is 300 grams.

He said it does not really matter much what the bowl number is but I gave it to him anyhow and he said the answer was still the same (Bowl # LL-004RW from the side of the box) MAP tested for 300 grams.

I was pleasantly surprised how helpful the Foremost company was. I give them a 9 out of 10 for telephone manner. As a comparision I recently called American Standard for help on a separate issue and the lady answering the phone was curt and did not take my question seriously. I give American Standard a 3 out of 10 for how they handled my call that day.

Hope this helps.

Service plumber. seattleplumber's Avatar

Default Installed one the other day...

Customer purchased their own GB toilet at HD, then hired a plumber (me) to install it. He's obviously not the brightest bulb on the tree. Anyway, here was my impression:

It worked better than I expected, but I was expecting it to not work at all. Still had to fiddle with it a lot to make it not leak (both onto the floor and into the bowl). The flush was semi-weak. I would not recommend this toilet to my mother in law. The parts looked cheap (not just plastic but thin plastic) and are probably not readily available. Very shoddy tank to bowl gasket as well (seemed to have no density to it and it kept falling off). And what was with the wingnuts for the tank bolts? All in all, this toilet was a piece of crap (pun intended).

Keep in mind, by not hiring a plumber and purchasing it through a plumbing company, you basically have no warranty (unless you call un-installing it and hauling it down to HD a "warranty"). If you want to buy and install this toilet, go right ahead. It doesn't bother me at all. You'll be calling me within a year wondering why it doesn't work and why there aren't any parts for it. After your wife scolds you for being so cheap (and stupid), I'll gladly sell you the Toto you should have bought in the first place. I'll also take immense pleasure chucking that GB out of my truck and into the dumpster. Betcha it breaks in midair (you think I'm kidding).

As a side note, I wouldn't recommend American Standard toilets either. They haven't made a good toilet since... well, since ever. They try and try, but they keep screwing it up. They get an 'A' for effort though. Maybe the Champion 28 will be the one. Who knows? For now, Toto is the best. Kohler is a distant second, and only a few models at that.

Quote Originally Posted by seattleplumber View Post
    As a side note, I wouldn't recommend American Standard toilets either. They haven't made a good toilet since... well, since ever. They try and try, but they keep screwing it up. They get an 'A' for effort though. Maybe the Champion 28 will be the one. Who knows?
    LOL... I'm wondering how many times they will put lipstick on that pig before people stop kissing it...
    They lost me on the first one....

Default How does the flush tray come out!!!

Seriously. I can't figure out how to get the water tray piece our of this P.O.S. I feel like I am going to snap the handle or break the tray.

This leaks onto the floor from the wingnut screws where the tank connects to the throne. Tried tightening from underneath, tried a long screwdriver, but can't get around this POS flush mechanism.

How do you take this plastic flush reservoir out without breaking the toilet?

I am tempted to break this piece of sh!t so that I can just by a new toilet.

reply to this thread or please hit me up at tafari AT ymail DOT com

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post

When I installed a customer supplied champion , ( purchased at home depot ) Guess who didn't carry the tower seal when it started to leak? Thats right Home Depot!

When the seat broke on My american standard williamsburg ( a Home Depot only product ) who didnt have the toilet seat for it? Thats right Home depot, of course american standard does to the tune of $200 plus shipping! Now Ill be buying Toto only from now on and I will only recommend Toto to My friends and customers.

Stay away from the home depot store brands at least when it comes to plumbing!

DIY Junior Member masterofflushing's Avatar

Default It's not holding 3 gallons of water!

You know when someone doesn't know what the hell they are talking about or has had zero experience with a Glacier Bay toilet then they ought to not THINK they know it all. First of all the tank on these toilets is never getting filled with water. Only the small tray up near the top of the tank gets filled with water and when you flush, the tray dumps it's water into the empty tank. I have never had any leaks either. How fricken hard is it to repair a tank to bowl leak anyways? It's not under any pressure! This toilet uses less than half the water and it works great unless you're some kind of retard. If this toilet is from a 3rd world country maybe we ought to look at their washing machines too unless you don't care about saving water and money. They must be laughing at us for the amount of water we waste. Ninety percent probably to water the grass outside!

Blog Entries

I replaced this Glacier Bay N2225 flapperless toilet for a homeowner. It was awful. There is very little rinse in the bowl. After each flush, it would need cleaning. The homeowner had tried to return it, but Home Depot said, "No Way!" She overheard the clerk from the plumbing isle telling the "return" clerk that it was a cheap toilet for those that couldn't spend more. It was not a warm fuzzy feeling finding out your purchase wasn't really intended to please, but just filled a hole.
    She first told me that the seat screws would not stay tight, and I thought she was kidding. But she wasn't. They won't stay tight. I shot some video of the bowl rinse that I will post in a few days. Pathetic.

Last edited by Terry; 10-14-2011 at 01:56 PM.

DIY Junior Member Dale Loveless's Avatar

Thumbs down Glacier Bay Toilet with the bucket style flush system

I would like to comment on the new design Glacier bay Toilet that has the "Dump Bucket" inside the tank, rather the old fashioned flapper that we have used for years.
    Personally I am totally disappointed with the design. The part that discusts me the most is there is no swirling effect in the bowl to properly wash the solid waste down the sides of the bowl! This is a major problem, as you have feces that stays on the sides of the bowl, because there is not enough water flow down the sides of the bowl. You constantly have to re-flush or manually clean the sides of the bowl to have a presentable/rather (clean) bowl. And please keep in mind that I am a male, and not a female, so therefor my standards are not as high as say womens would be. Don't buy it...you will be disappointed with the operation of the toilet. I have plans to replace this toilet in the spring when the weather breaks,and destroy it.

The Dump Bucket performs as it was designed to do.....but there is not enough water supply to properly self-clean the bowl of feces stuck to the sides of the bowl. And there is no adjusting the water level as the "Dump Bucket"only holds so much water. The concept and idea of the "Dump-Bucket" design is ok but it is flawed. Don't buy them, you will be highly disappointed.

DIY Junior Member midwestmommaX2's Avatar

We have one in our home (put in by previous owner) and it's horrible. Would stay away. It flushes straight down .. no swirl. Leave *stuff* in the bowl. Yuck.

Comments by readers Reader Review's Avatar
    Emails and phone calls sent in by readers

Mr. Love; My research revealed your name in connection to Glacier Bay Toilets and seats, I'm a 70 year old/live alone in an apartment in Madison Alabama, it just so happens that my toilet appears relatively new it's a Glacier Bay elongated 1.28gpf/4.6gpf, #331-725, the seat [looks like a all in one] is very light PVC/other with slide in PVC hinges [cheap]. Yesterday I sat down and immediately [I and the seat] fell to the left going down striking my left knee and twisting my lower back and within inches of taking a blow to the head. Emergency Room evaluation suggests injury to the knee/back; I was directed to an orthopedic surgeon. My point and forgive the editorial length is that given the lack of structure and poor design, especially in a commercial/high traffic environment [I'm sure this is not a isolated case] that incidents such as this should be reported to the appropriate State/Federal/Recall Agencies; maybe such a recall has taken place?; Should you have the opportunity to review and respond; it will be appreciated; In Advance>THANK YOU.
    Mike B.