(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Glacier Bay toilet from Home Depot, Consumer reviews, pics, comments

Default Glacier Bay

We hate glacier bay it's a terrible toilet. Half the time it doesn't flush right. We paid alot more then 50.00 for it. We are now looking for a better toilet and think we will get a top flush with dual flush.

Last edited by Terry; 10-14-2011 at 01:19 PM.

DIY Junior Member Mike in California's Avatar

Default Glacier Bay 1.28 gpf round bowl toilet

I purchased a Glacier Bay 1.28 gpf round bowl toilet at Home Depot. It has the flapperless design, which is essentially a trough or rectangular bucket that tilts when you flush it. Anyway, it has been working great. I had already checked various reviews online for toilets before I decided on this one. At $88, it is a great price. I knew going into this some people said the seat is flimsy, and it is, but at that price, I threw away the factory seat and installed a sturdier seat. Not a problem.

I did have to make a very minor, simple adjustment to ensure the tank was filling to the 1.28 gallon level in the bucket, however, you may not need to make any adjustment if it fills to the marked line. If you do need to fine-tune the water level, then very gently bend the copper tubing that holds the filler spigot that empties into the bucket. Doing so will bring the level of the float valve slightly upward and so likewise affects the level of the water in the bucket. Not a big deal to adjust, the tube probably moved slightly during shipment.

By the way, this flapperless design has a 10 rating for flushing material, which is the best rating. It was done in independent testing, so it isn't some inflated rating from the manufacturer. This toilet works very well, much better than the 47-year-old 3.5 gpf toilet we had in place before. I looked at Kohler, American Standard and others and decided on this one. Oh, by the way, the Glacier Bay brand which is exclusive to Home Depot is also known as Niagara or Niagara Flapperless. In the U.S., the site is niagaraconservation.com; in Canada it is niagraflapperless.ca

Last edited by Guest; 07-21-2009 at 01:09 PM.

DIY Junior Member Mike in California's Avatar

Default PS regarding Glacier Bay 1.28 gpf toilet filler valve

A correction on adjusting the water level in the bucket: although I adjusted the float level by very gently and very slightly tweaking the copper pipe that feeds the water in the tank, the proper way to adjust the float valve is to turn the black plastic screw that is on the valve's arm. Turn the screw to the right to lower the water level in the bucket or to the left to raise the level. So do adjust the screw, don't bend the copper tube. The instruction manual was not in the box (someone had previously opened it at Home Depot) so I didn't have it for reference. But I have just downloaded a PDF of the manual and found the correct way to adjust the valve on the Fluidmaster 703A5B fill valve.

Mike that is the Niagra Flapperless toilet sold under the Glacier Bay label...
    Not the best flusher but okay...
    Parts though terrify me....
    If Niagra doesn't cut it....
    The parts will disappear as well...

Last edited by Terry; 01-12-2012 at 05:40 PM.

Default debscott66

do you have receipt. ask what happens when you lose receipt. my guess is store credit. call them ask what policy is on stools. if you can return it. yank it out. everybody laughs but i was in blowes in kokomo, in, in august. i come in the door and there's a woman with a 4' dead christmas tree. i thought ok, i got to see this. the clerk asked what was wrong with the tree. lady says it died. i burst out laughing. everybody else was in the twilight zone. the tree still had christmas stuff on it. the cut on the stump was older than me. they will take just about anything back. also please don't pay any mind to the store recommendations. if they knew anything, why would they be there? lol. breid

Quote Originally Posted by Guest View Post
    Glacier Bay is a Home Depot brand, so without a part number, it is just another generic container load that comes in with the house brand on the box.

A lot would depend on which overseas company they are buying from at the moment.

It kind of defeats the 1.28 gallon aspect of it. Holding the handle down uses about 3 gallons.
    With three gallons, you can pretty much wash a racoon out of a tree.

Everything you ever wanted to know about toilets
    Sorry guys...you got it all wrong..the tank won't even hold 3 gallons of water let alone the water that enters while in operation. OK...don't take my word on this one...but I bought one, it has an 8 rating and still works like a charm.I'm 100% happy with my purchase and I'm not a sales person at Home Depot...I took out a worthless Kohler because it took 3 or 4 flushes to work...Now I'm smiling.

Quote Originally Posted by bridestine View Post
    I bought the $128 Glacier Bay toilet. I went with the express purpose of buying an Eljer, 1.4 Gal Toilet. It flushes like those professional models at Airport Terminals. Very hard flush, and in six years, it has never failed. Also cost half as much as the GB, from Lowes. The salesman at Home Depot said the Eljer was no longer as good as my old one, and this GB was the best rated flusher he had. From my experience, it is LOUSY. I keep a gallon bucket filled with water for flushing. It won't even take a sheet of toilet paper. If flushed properly, it would use less water than my Eljer, but it requires a minimum of one flush plus one gallon bucket to get anything down. Don't let the salesman talk you into that thing. IT IS JUNK!!!
    Think this guy must work for big name MFG or didn't know how to install it...Mine works fine...and excuse me, I haven't seen any of those big named puppies any more reasonalble...this $128.00 was complete...nuts, bolts, wax ring, seat...oops...didn't provide toilet paper, almost complete.

Comments by readers Reader Review's Avatar
    Emails and phone calls sent in by readers

Mike from Cascade Water has reported that the two worst toilets, at least the two he gets the most complaints about, are the Glacier Bay toilet and the Dual Flush Gerber toilet.

Homeowners have been reporting that many cases of multiple flushing with the Glacier Bay.
    There are no parts for them. That's the other big complaint.
    When they ask for parts, they just get a blank stare from the "Isle helpers" at Home Depot.
    The solution if anything breaks, is to buy a new toilet.
    Which may or may not work very well.
    You may get a good or a bad one, depending on the individual construction of that piece of pottery.
    JLindbert has reported getting a good one, which is similar to other reports we have been getting.
    Depending on how well it was made that day, you may get one that works, or one that has problems.
    But so far, many more complaints then from other toilets.

The biggest complaints are on the Gerber dual flush though.
    There is no way to repair those.
    They typically last about six months.
    Last edited by Reader Review; 10-02-2009 at 12:02 PM.

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years johnjh2o1's Avatar

While your at it buy a plunger at the same time. you will need it.

John

I must have gotten the only good one that they made...Mine still works like a charm. Fact...if I had the one that this guy has and it didn't work, I'm smart enough to take it back to Home Depot and not keep that bucket of water beside toilet to flush away the big one...it seems very evident that this guy is very full of S__t and life experiences with these kind...you simply can't flush them away. There are idiots everywhere and having 26 year career as a building, plumbing and mechanical inspector, I've seen all kinds...TAKE IT BACK TO HOME DEPOT...they'll even take it back if it's full of S__t...as well as Lowes.

Default Ps

And by the way, I don't work for Home Depot, or MFG of the Glacier Bay toilet...but trust me, if I did, I'd sell the heck out of these. I could sell anything that I believed in and I believe in this product. I read this guy's post several times and laughed every time...thinking to myself..what an idiot, and if he had one that didn't work, why keep it...and pour that water in it...it's funny, picturing this guy taking his dump, flushing, then pouring his bucket of water in to complete his mission...

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

The thing is, next month, a toilet with the same name might show up from a different manufactuer that is a total dog...if yours has any non-standard parts (flapper or fill valve), you may never get parts to fix them when their rubber parts wear out in a few years. Break the flush lever, buy a generic replacement and hope it fits. Your lottery ticket may win, but the odds are against you. HD does not carry parts for their in-house toilets most have found.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Default Glacier Bay Update...to all you tearful eyed guys out there...

Still working fine here in the Lindbert household...and no, you don't use 3 gallons when you hold down for 2 seconds...it just lets the tank empty completely by doing so. Nope, I don't work for the supply house who sells them...and sorry the competition doesn't like good reviews being posted for a product that works well. Guess this blog made me realize that competitors send out thugs to slam good products in hopes that they might steal a dab of the pie...I'm sorry guys, mine works just fine...oops, but I didn't get the $40.00 dollar one, nor did I get the $60.00 one that some wrote about. I paid I think $128.00 complete for mine...and it works like a charm. I really hate it for that dude that has to keep the plunger beside his, or they guy who keeps that bucket of water beside his...pitiful guys...tears running down my cheeks just thinking about how pitiful life is for you. 26 years as a building, plumbing and mechanical inspector and I've yet to see one that worked as well as this Glacier Bay toilet.

DIY Senior Member Runs with bison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JLindbert View Post
    Still working fine here in the Lindbert household...and no, you don't use 3 gallons when you hold down for 2 seconds...it just lets the tank empty completely by doing so.
    Have you measured it? If you haven't actually used a water meter to measure your 2 second hold a few times, then you have no idea how much water it actually uses.

Three gallons

Yep, it's three gallons when you hold that little thingy down, and drain all the water out of yur tank.

What part of it dont you git?

A flapper that flips up and drops down, that's less then two gallon.
    Mabe one gallon, and a half gallon.

But when you hold that baby up, and keep it up, then the hole thing drops all the water. count it everybody. one gallon, two gallon, three gallon.
    Dude it's three gallons.
    Wait, keep a nuther bucket there, and you can keep puruing water down.
    Why stop at three?
    Joe the Plumber