(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Loud bang from toilet

Default Loud bang from toilet

Hi everyone New poster!

I would consider myself below a newbie in the plumbing world. This is my story any and all help needed.

So last night my wife and I are watching the Packers/Bears game and all the sudden we hear a loud bang. I look at my wife we think some one is breaking in. I run up stairs and hear water running in the guest toilet. We never use this toilet and what do I see? Out tank lid is almost completely knocked off the tank?? What looks to be the fill valve has "exploded" Or just shot up and kicked the tank off. Does this happen? If so any reason?

I shut the water off and drained the toilet. I pushed the valve back down in its rightful position turned the water back on and flushed with no problem. I drained the toilet again and shut the water off. Any thoughts would be wonderful.

The toilet is stamped and dated from 1990 in the tank. I'm not sure who made the tank but that's all I got.

At this point I will be replacing the toilet 4GPF -->1.28GPF

Now im just very curious with what happened. Is it from pressure because I never use it? Is my water pressure high? We have been in the house for 5 months now and it just happened 20 minuets after my wife got out of the shower. Any help would be awesome!

DIY kid who loves toilets Starwarsith88's Avatar

The water pressure might be high. Also, what toilets are you looking for to replace this toilet from 1990?
    If you need to go with a new toilet, go with a TOTO!

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I would love to see a picture of that.
    I have heard of cases like yours. Not often, but it happens.

I haven't really started looking for a replacement yet but I will look at Toto.

If the water pressure is high how do I find out? And what should it be. And if it is high what do I do?

Not to play devils advocate but it the pressure was high would I be getting the same problems all over? Everyone in a while after a shower/dishwasher I will turn on the faucet and get a big burst of water for a brief second.

I wish I would have taken a picture but in the panicked state that I was in I just started doing things.....Not thinking.

Terry, when you say it happens do you know of any reason for this? Is it a problem with the toilet or the plumbing in general?

Blog Entries

Any hardware store will carry a pressure gauge that uses hose threads. Put that on the outside hosebib and get reading.
    You can also use a washer valve inside, which is more accuraet if you already have a PRV on the incoming cold.

Anything more than 80 PSI needs reducing. Between 50-70 is nice.

I'm thinking POSSIBLY a fill valve failure, was that fill valve old in that toilet??

Not really sure how old the filler is. I just moved in the house about 5 months ago. The toilet is from july of 1990.

Does it make any sense that this would just happen. I mean we haven't touched the toilet in 2-3weeks?

Blog Entries

Without knowing brand and model, it's just a guess.

There are quite a few fill valves that could be in your tank twenty three years later.

Is the fill valve yellow?
    Last edited by Terry; 11-05-2013 at 11:39 AM.

Looks like a Fluidmaster 400 series ant siphon

toilet is Crane plumbing
    Last edited by mcginnin; 11-05-2013 at 12:47 PM.

must be a crane radcliffe if it's from 1990. I like those toilets...

Name:  pressure regulator   Google Search.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  6.2 KBName:  007 backflow preventer   Google Search.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  11.3 KB
    If you didn't catch my reply on the other forum, I'll just repeat it here too. Aside from a defective fill valve and the high pressure, check your meter or water service for an existing pressure regulator that may have gone bad and also for a back flow preventer. High pressure can be made worse by thermal expansion and do exactly what you have described. You may also already have a thermal expansion tank near your water heater and it may have failed as well. But as the others have stated, check your pressure first. If you have a regulator already installed there are a few tests we could walk you through to see if it has failed or needs some adjustment. First is an example of a pressure regulator and second is an example of a backflow preventer if you are not familiar with what to look for. They are typically located where the water meter is and where the water enters your home.
    Last edited by Caduceus; 11-05-2013 at 01:09 PM.

Adding attachments. These are reversed picture taken on laptop.

Is the thicket piping right above the blue tank the regulator? This is where the black plate with the info was.

ok now I feel like a idiot..You caught me on two forums with the same question.

im looking at my hot water heater now. looking dead straight at the water heater about 3 feet up the copper pipe on the right is a blue tank"proflow" water heater saftey tank model PT-5 pre charged pressure 40psi.

above the tank i see plate that says
    water dual watts check water regulator asse 1024 size 3/4 x 3/4 mod 7112-2

i dont see any adjustment for this at the tank.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

so above the tank is the back flow preventer?

Here's the deal. That's definitely a check valve above the blue tank, but not a pressure regulator. The pressure regulator would usually be right near where the pipe from the street comes into the house. If your meter is inside, it would be near that.

As you may have picked up from reading here, you may have a "closed" system. That is one where there is either a backflow preventer or a check valve or a pressure reduction valve with a designed-in backflow preventer or a water meter with a backflow preventer. The idea is that if water gets contaminated in your house (i.e. by dropping an outdoor hose in some pesticide and then draining your system, sucking the pesticide into the house water), it won't flow back into the water main on the street and contaminate other people's water. So it's "closed". Water can come in but can't go out. (An "open" system has no such restriction.) In an open system, if the water expands due to heating, the expanded water will just flow back to the street main without raising your house pressure. In a closed system, it can't do that, so if the water expands due to heating, it has noplace to go and the pressure builds.

You likely have a closed system. To compensate for the expansion of the water when your water heater is running, you have an expansion tank (the blue thing). If that's functioning properly, it will absorb the expanded water and maintain the pressure. If it is waterlogged or worn out or needs to be recharged, it won't. Terry is right to check your pressure with a gauge, but you want to do it when your water heater is running to make up for hot water used in, say, a shower or the dishwasher or the clothes washer. A gauge that you can leave attached for 24 hours and will register the high mark with a little needle will also do the trick.

My guess is that your pressure is probably decent most of the time, but climbs after you have taken a shower or run the dishwasher. Maybe it was enough to pop that valve up. Or maybe the valve wasn't locked at whatever height it was set and it just twisted loose and shot up in the higher pressure (or standard pressure).

I would certainly make sure that that expansion tank is working.

Good luck and let us know.