(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Glacier Bay toilet from Home Depot, Consumer reviews, pics, comments

DIY Junior Member tinacarlylethegreat's Avatar

Question Glacier Bay toilet from Home Depot, Consumer reviews, pics, comments

Has anyone ever purchased the Glacier Bay toilet at home depot. It goes by several different names. Sedona or Taza Sahara. The bowl # is 191-856. I like it because it has a round front and only extends 25 3/8 inches into the room. I have a small bathroom and the sink is directly in front of the toilet. It is only $40.00 and I am worried maybe it doesn't work well. I can't find any info on it on the internet. Other models yes, but not this one. If anyone has had experience with it I would appreciate an evaluation.
    Tina

Consumer Report on Toilets

Last edited by Terry; 10-14-2011 at 01:19 PM.

Tank and bowl are only $40.00?????

I wouldn't touch anything with a price like that. They were probably practice toilets from some 3rd world country.

Last edited by Reader Review; 01-15-2009 at 10:03 AM.

As a practical matter, a toilet for $40 is a guaranteed loser. First, it is going to be a very poor flusher. Glacier Bay ranks near or at the bottom on the MAP reports. Even worse, the quality of the porcelain glaze and the internal parts...flappers,etc. are rock bottom.

Now, is it actually labeled Glacier Bay? Those model names you mentioned sound like the toilets which HD imports from Mexico..they are even worse!

For a toilet with some quality, and a price which won't break your bank, I believe the Toto Drake, the AmStd Cadet 3, and the Niagara are worth a look. You will hear varying other opinions positive and negative about these recommendations; I don't think you will hear any recommendation for a good toilet which can be had under about $150 total.(+ labor)

follow up: it is a Glacier Bay label, manufactured by Foremost International, probably China. Their part number is LL-8200-W if you want to talk to them about it:http://www.fitnjo.com/AboutUs.html

Last edited by Reader Review; 01-15-2009 at 10:04 AM.

Default Glacier Bay toilets

Hello and I recently purchased one with an 8 rating. Started to buy an American Standard...good products most of the time but sales guy at Home Depot told me that the Glacier Bay had an 8 rating and American Standard had a 5. I'll be very honest with you...I never had a toilet that worked so fine. I tried everything to stop this puppy up and it won't stop up. I wasn't familiar with the Glacier Bay till I got this one...and the neat thing is, it only uses 1.2 gallons of water. You won't find a better toilet for the money that the Glacier Bay.

Not sure the model number but the one I bought is an elongated lip...not rounded. ...didn't see any $40.00 ones but like others said...stay away from something that cheap.

Jan Lindbert

Sevierville, TN
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Terry; 10-18-2009 at 11:43 AM.

posts, emails and comments from readers reposted by Terry

Glacier Bay is a Home Depot brand, so without a part number, it is just another generic container load that comes in with the house brand on the box.

A lot would depend on which overseas company they are buying from at the moment.

I hold the handle down for 2 seconds and everything disappears in a strong whoosh of water.
    It kind of defeats the 1.28 gallon aspect of it. Holding the handle down uses about 3 gallons.
    With three gallons, you can pretty much wash a racoon out of a tree.

Everything you ever wanted to know about toilets
    Last edited by Guest; 04-18-2009 at 05:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JLindbert View Post
    Hello and I recently purchased one with an 8 rating. Started to buy an American Standard...good products most of the time but sales guy at Home Depot told me that the Glacier Bay had an 8 rating and American Standard had a 5. I'll be very honest with you...I never had a toilet that worked so fine. I tried everything to stop this puppy up and it won't stop up. I wasn't familiar with the Glacier Bay till I got this one...and the neat thing is, it only uses 1.2 gallons of water. You won't find a better toilet for the money that the Glacier Bay.

Not sure the model number but the one I bought is an elongated lip...not rounded. Cost from Home Depot was $128.00 plus tax...didn't see any $40.00 ones but like others said...stay away from something that cheap.

Jan Lindbert

Sevierville, TN
    Sounds like Home Depot had nothing to sell except junk toilets...

Default ...

I've actually had decent luck with a one-piece glacier bay I bought at Home Depot for $69 on special about 6 months ago. I put it in the guest bath, and have two toto drakes for my other toilets, so I do know what a great toilet is. The Drake is an amazing piece of plumbing, without a doubt. Occasionally the glacier bay needs two flushes, but in a situation where its not a major use toilet (most of its use if for #1's), I think they are fine.

Flagstaff, AZ Sitting on an upside down 5 gallon bucket next to the GO 68HD

So you're saying they make great urinals┐
    I just post cuz I like to see my avatar.

Quote Originally Posted by kingsotall View Post
    So you're saying they make great urinals┐
    I hardly see that as a toilet that I would put up with installed at my house for 20-30 years...

Default ...

I think what I'm saying is that they are fine for use in a situation where they are not primary use toilets.. The price makes them almost disposable. I know you plumbers hate to hear it though... I'm on a tight budget.
    Last edited by Reader Review; 09-19-2009 at 08:17 AM.

Default I bought 2 of these

They both leak from the tank! what are the odds? what a pile of crap

Glacier Bay toilet from Home Depot
    Last edited by Reader Review; 09-19-2009 at 08:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by brina916 View Post
    They both leak from the tank! what are the odds? what a pile of crap
    Glacier Bay?
    I'd say pretty good odds of having a leaker...

But Redwood, they were cheap!

Default bridestine

I bought the Glacier Bay toilet. I went with the express purpose of buying an Eljer, 1.4 Gal Toilet. It flushes like those professional models at Airport Terminals. Very hard flush, and in six years, it has never failed. Also cost half as much as the GB, from Lowes. The salesman at Home Depot said the Eljer was no longer as good as my old one, and this GB was the best rated flusher he had. From my experience, it is LOUSY. I keep a gallon bucket filled with water for flushing. It won't even take a sheet of toilet paper. If flushed properly, it would use less water than my Eljer, but it requires a minimum of one flush plus one gallon bucket to get anything down. Don't let the salesman talk you into that thing. IT IS JUNK!!!
    Last edited by Guest; 07-21-2009 at 01:08 PM.

Default Boo to Glacier Bay

I paid about $60 for my low-flow Glacier Bay toilet. From day one, I have had to flush it 4 or 5 times just to flush about 2 sheets of toilet paper. Not really saving much water that way, am I? I rue the day I ever bought this toilet and darn sure won't do it again. I agree that you get what you pay for. Go with a toilet that's higher priced and with a company that has a good reputation.

Debra

Last edited by Terry; 01-12-2012 at 05:41 PM.