Clawfoot tub leg problems

Users who are viewing this thread

Boots

Reaction score
Need help FAST!
My tubs legs do not attach to the tub, the tub just sits in place on the legs. The problem is the legs keep moving, even with the tub weight. What would be the best (safest) solution to the stabilization of the legs/tub?
Thanks

Boots

Reaction score
The floor is new, level and tile. It is slippery. The tub sits level. I was thinking about connecting the front 2 legs together, and the back 2 together, from the bottom of the tub. This might keep the pressure on them. Then maybe some kind of glue, or bond for iron?

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
Boots said:
The floor is ... level ... The tub sits level ...

I have no experience with footed tubs, but keep in mind that "level" and "flat" are not always the same thing. Your tub's stability might well depend upon each leg bearing exactly the same amount of weight as well as not being able to slide on the floor, and if you check closely, you might presently find one leg you can wiggle just a bit ... but maybe somebody else knows about your type of tub and what it takes to make it stable.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Is this a cast iron tub or fiberglass or what???

Can you post a pic?

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
70 years history here

Boots said:
My tubs legs do not attach to the tub...
what was the situation in the last seventy years? What changed for the worse?
Boots said:
Need help FAST!
Why the haste?
Boots said:
...solution to the stabilization of the legs/tub?
There are many ways to skin a cat. I don't believe anyone can prescribe anything close to perfection.

Boots

Reaction score
geniescience said:
what was the situation in the last seventy years? What changed for the worse? Why the haste? There are many ways to skin a cat. I don't believe anyone can prescribe anything close to perfection.

I totally gutted the old room. It was built over a porch. Bad shape. Now the floors are level with a new tile. The legs were set, then we installed all new Strom fixtures. When we were in the tub adding the shower ring and the legs started to move. When we tried to adjust them they all started to move! They lock in the back, but they are sliding outwards of the tub. I felt if we pulled the legs from the middle of the leg inwards, this would keep them locked in place. Then glue/bond?
The reason for the hurry is I don't want the kids, or the cat, to move the tub and all fall. Something so simple but...
I did add new Toto tolets. They are great!

Casman

Reaction score
Maybe I'm missing something, first you said they just sit undet the tub, later you said the back one's lock in place, most of the Old ones I've seen slide into a wedged area with a set screw underneath. If there are no set screws, maybe you could drill, tap, and install some.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I've never dealt with one of these so take this for what it's worth! If the legs have a tapered slot, maybe they need a gentle persuasion to lock in place. It would make some sense that there would be a set screw or a locking bolt to hold them. Sure there's not threaded hole on the foot or the attachment point to perform this task? Course sticking your arm under a 3-400# tub has its dangers...you might want to place some blocking under it just in case while you're playing with it.

Boots

Reaction score
I used braded wire to pull the legs into the proper position, then JB weld on the under side and gorrilla glue around the outside. There was NO screw on this model. This will hopefully take care of the problem...

missniceguy

Reaction score
hi all, i'm new here, thanks for welcoming me aboard! =D
i have a 1927 clawfoot which is almost ready to place ... three of the legs have just a little play in them but the fourth has much more ... i've gotten plenty of advice (conflicting, of course! =D)
can anyone suggest what is best to level this tub's legs before i haul the behemoth inside? my instinct is to leave well enough alone & not cut the bolts, but ...
should i cut the bolts & retighten to level? (how do you level them, then?)
should i leave them in place & shim the fourth leg? (once again, how do you level it?)
is there an easy way to do this or am i in for a ride? =D
can't wait for that first soak!
thanks much ... XoX

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
I've never seen a clawfoot that had a leveling feature built-in. Wait until the tub is in place on the finished floor, then shim
as necessary until it doesn't rock (which will not always mean LEVEL).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks