Toto Drake tank wobble

Users who are viewing this thread

WatFallet

Reaction score
My dad and I installed a Toto Drake. He's much more of a plumber (and overall DIY'er) than I am. Most of the installation went well, but the tank wobbles in the front/back direction.

The instructions say to make sure the tank makes three points of contact with the bowl: front left, front right, and rear. It's the rear spot that's not making contact, hence the wobble.

I fiddled with it to try to get all 3 to make contact, but I couldn't. Any suggestions? Will this pose a problem functionally at some point?

The toilet seems to be working fine; no leaks.

TedL

Reaction score
I recently installed 3 Drakes in my house and I got uncomfortable with how tight I had to make the nuts to draw the tank down into three points of contact, so I leaned heavily on the tank to compress the gasket and achieve the contact, then tighted the nuts to hold the position.

I did it solo, so two of you should have no problem with the approach.

RabbitBoy

Reaction score
I just installed the Drake in my house. I too have quite a bit of wobble in the take. None of the 3 points are touching. There is about 1/8" gap all the way around. I am very concerned about tightening down the tank anymore.
Has anyone used shims to stop the wobble? Is this really the way its supposed to be?
Thanks for your time.

RabbitBoy

Reaction score
TedL said:
You trusted Toto to design & build a quality toilet. (At least I figure that's why you bought it.) Trust them enough to follow their installation instructions. They really know their products better than you do.

I am not sure what you mean.
I followed the directions to the letter. Are you saying I should continue to tighten down the bolts until there is contact made to the three points?
There seem to be differing opinions on the wobble vs no-wobble situation.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
drake_angle2.jpg

You can push the tank down with one hand, while tightening with the other.

I followed up on a Drake tank installed by another plumber that was loose today, 10/22/2008
The tank nuts were "finger loose",
I took out a wrench and tightened them "wrench tight"
No more loose and wobbly tank.

https://terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?t=743
Jamie's instructions for the Drake.

Last edited:

RabbitBoy

Reaction score
Followed Ted L's instruction...
Unassembled the tank from the bowl. I then put a two-foot level across the tank while tightening the bolts finger tight, keeping the tank level side to side and front to back. Using a socket wrench, carefully going back and forth between the bolts, the tank pulled right down to the three points of contact.
Since this is the first toilet I have ever installed, I greatly appreciate Ted L's advice. Once I got the hang of it, the install went smoothly. Thank you.

cjr

Reaction score
rockin' Toto Drake tank?

We just had an ADA 1.6 Toto Drake installed. It works beautifully, but when you push the lever to flush it the entire tank moves fore-and-aft. Is it really meant to be mounted that flexibly?

Thanks, folks!

Gonfishn

Reaction score
After researching Toto toilets on this site I returned the two Kohler Cimmarons that I had purchased and ordered two Toto Drake's instead. I installed the first one today but I am having problems with the water tank wobbling, front to rear.

I followed the instructions provided, hand-tightened the bolts (they say until it is level, which is hard to do since it is so wobbly at only hand tight). I then tightened evenly on each side but no matter what I try the toilet touches the front points of contact first and there is a 3/16 gap in the back.

I am afraid to keep tightening the bolts until the back point of contact touches for fear of cracking the tank. Everything is working and the tank doesn't leak but it has a wobble to it.

Any suggestions? And thanks for a great site!

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
The best wrench to use is a socket, but any wrench will work. Alternate around the three bolts, tightening each to snug, then going to the next. You can apply your body weight to the tank as you do this, Keep tightening the nuts, each a little at time, until the three points touch. Think of tightening lug nut on a wheel. The tank is designed to tighten down this way and should not be left with a wobble.

Gonfishn

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. There are only two bolts to work with but I leaned on the top of the tank while I alternated between tightening the two bolts with a socket.When I had my "3 points of contact" I stopped. It certainly wasn't an even lowering onto the the 3 points on the bowl as the front two made contact before the back, but with additional tightening and pressure they all touched eventually. Nothing broke and the tank isn't wobbling so I guess I am OK!

wahiwow

Reaction score
It may not be tightened down.

Jamie's instructions for Toto

Hi Terry:

I just installed 3 toto Drake II's using Jamies instructions., and so far no leaks. But I do notice a tank wobble. On the first one, I tightened until all three points contacted, but then I noticed the washers inside the tank looked distorted. So I backed off until they looked round again, there was a slight gap all round, I figured they would eventually touch as time went by. Filled tank, no leaks. A few weeks later, installed the other 2, again, even gap all around. I did keep a level on the tank as a guide.
I read the Toto instructions and it seems there is a difference, or I misunderstood Jamies instructions. Does the tank to toilet bolts get two nuts or just one? As I read Jamie's words, he clearly says drop the bolt(s) through after setting the tank atop the toilet.
Yet the picture supplied and Toto's instructions says to put one nut before, then one nut after setting the tank on top. I can't beleive I would be the first one to point this out, so am I wrong or are two nuts needed. If two are not used, could this explain the wobble.... whch is noticeacble on one of my three toilets.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Toto started suppling four washers and nuts for the tanks; that way you can washer and nut up the bolt before installing to the bowl, and then a second washer and nut. This firms things up considerably.

ecodrake_tankbottom.jpg

A picture from Jamie's instructions, a picture is worth a thousands words.
Can you see the washers and nuts?

4thGenerationPlumber

In the Trades
Reaction score
DO NOT OVER TiGHTEN!!! Over tightening will cause the toilet to crack. At our shop we use a toilet tank stabilizer by a the tank truss. It's the only product I know of that will stop the wobble. Otherwise you can put shims and boards behind the wall (cumbersome). We swear by this product. Very simple DIY. http://www.tanktruss.com

Last edited:

4thGenerationPlumber

In the Trades
Reaction score
Really with the three point system you shouldn't have an issue with locking. Usually that will occur with the 2 bolts. I would say that you may have the wrong gasket size in the middle. Rock should not occur with the 3 bolt system.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks