PEX and tight turns...

Users who are viewing this thread

OldPete

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
When doing a job where PEX is being used and you need to use a 90* instead of just bending the pex (tight spot), how confident do you feel about this fitting or do you try to avoid them.

If you try to avoid them is it because you are concerned about the fitting failing or the cost?

There is a job going on in my neighborhood where there are A LOT of Uponor ProPex fittings being used in ceiling and joist bays. I'm curious as to how folks feel about this sort of thing verses the home-run methods, etc.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
One of the benefits of using pex is you need fewer connections. This saves on cost. You can run it like copper pipe, and then you need just as many. Sometimes, you don't have a choice. I'd prefer a path that didn't need as many fittings, but other than cost, should be okay. Each fitting adds more restriction which also might mean the calculations on the size needed might no longer apply. A continuous run, because it is smoother is said can be done with smaller pipe in pex vs copper. Throw in a bunch of fittings, and that probably no longer applies. they may notice flow problems if it was sized for the smaller pipe without all of the fittings, depending on how overboard they went.

OldPete

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
kordts said:
There are supports that you anchor, then run the pex thru it. You can make real 90's.

Yes, but only within the limits of the tube... what do you do when you need to make a 90 in 2" of room?

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Use what you have to use...then go home and get a good night's sleep.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks