Detail question relating to sewage pit check valve and shut off valve.

Users who are viewing this thread

Longwood

Reaction score
1) I am in NJ and am installing a basement bath with ejector pump. I was planning on placing a ball valve just after the check valve but was told by someone at the local box store who sounded intelligent that code does not permit a shut off valve in a waste line. Is this correct? I would like to have the ball valve there in case maintenance of the check valve is required and almost every drawing I see of basement pits show a ball or gate valve in line.

2) The check valve I purchased states to install horizontally, but most pictures and instructions show them mounted vertically. I can do either but wondered if it makes a difference.

background: The pit , rough plumbing under slab, and vent to roof were all done when the house was built and I am now finishing the basement. 2" abs lines for waste and vent.

Thanks in advance.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
There are different types of check valves: ball check, swing check, etc. Some can be installed vertically. If the valve you have says horizontal, you must do that or get a different valve.

R

Rancher

Jimbo,

He's thinking of putting a ball valve in addition to the check valve. I'm not sure why it would be against code, especially if it was used only for maintenance.

But it probably is, since one of the big box store experts said so.

Rancher

Longwood

Reaction score
I think the "box store expert" is probably wrong, that is why I asked here.

R

Rancher

We need a real plumber, one with the UPC book on his desk to answer this one.

Me... if it's not going to be inspected, and it makes sense... guess what I would do.

Rancher

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
valve

As far as I know it is not a code issue and most installation diagrams show a shutoff valve after the check valve so maintenances can be performed, especially if the check valve has hose connections which make it the "union".

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The orientation of the check valve is not a code issue at all....it is a mechanical issue. If you have a valve which says mount horiz. only, then if you put it vertical it probably wont work.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
thats the best way ..always

The expert at home depot dont know what he is talking about...

Why in the world you not want a way to hold back
the sewage in case the pump or check valve were to fail???

have you ever had to change a check valve with a 10 foot pipe
loaded with crap above that valve and no way to hold back the fun????

Its just a nice thing to do for the next poor dumbass that has to fool with
that system someday...and it might be you

Get one of those plastic 2 inch full flow ball valves and install it above the
check valve and you have done a bang up job....

the next thing I suggest is you get one of those new

SILENT spring loaded 2 inch check valves ....they are great
and most customers have praised me for changeing it out
when replaceing a sewage pit....you dont have the large clank
throughout the house if you use the silent one...about $14.00

Last edited:

Markts30

Commercial Plumber
Reaction score
I agree with the ball valve installation...
We install a lot of sump pumps and ejectors in basements of commercial buildings and ALL of them have a check and then a ball valve...
The ball valve is the only way you can later service the check later without getting a good dose of whatever you are pumping...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks