Landscaping question, sort of..

Users who are viewing this thread

gibbie

real estate investor/rehabber
Reaction score
I am not sure if this is the correct place to ask this question so if there is a more appropriate place, please direct me there.

I have a water problem in my basement, partly from the gutters draining too close to the foundation and an insufficiant sump system. I plan to correct this problem and would like to know if I can incorporate my sump line with my down spout line out to the curb? All of this will be under ground. I plan to place a second check valve in the sump line before it reaches the entrance of the spouting line so nothing can back up into the sump line. It seems to me to be an excellent idea,:rolleyes: with the sump keeping the debris out of the line servicing the down spouts from the gutters. Am I missing something?:confused:

rick

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
gibbie said:
... would like to know if I can incorporate my sump line with my down spout line out to the curb? All of this will be under ground.

Downspouts and sumps all need to be drained away from foundations, but are you sure you want (and/or that you would even be allowed) to run either or both out to the curb? Here where I happen to live, the city does not allow storm runoff to be dumped into its sewer system, and I would assume a sump in a basement would be expected to come out in the regular way ... and outside the city limits, I have never seen anyone either pump or drain anything into a ditch or depression alongside the road.

gibbie

Reaction score
What are my options

Thank you for your responses. I will need to check with the city on this. I am sure they do not allow it to be drained into the sanitary sewer however what other options do I have?:confused: . For the past year I had it draining out in my back yard but recently with the heavy rains, I noticed it was quickly returning into the basement, causing more water than the pump could handle and resulting in heavy flooding. I presently have it running above ground, around the house to the front and down the concrete drive to the street:eek: .

Rick

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
gibbie said:
... a water problem in my basement, partly from the gutters draining too close to the foundation and an insufficiant sump system. I plan to correct this problem ...

I am no expert in landscaping and drainage, but I would begin by simply getting your downspouts to dump several feet away from the house. Depending upon the size of your lot and any slope it might have in one direction or another, look for a simple way to get rain water away from the house, and possibly even into the ground ... and if you can handle a shovel, here is one possible way to do that without spending a great amount of money:

www.infiltratorsystems.com

Where does the output of your sump already go?

gibbie

Reaction score
When we purchased the house 4 years ago it emptied into the sanitary sewer via an old drain in the basement floor with a four foot extension above the floor. After a heavy rain however the drain could not handle the water and the system was obsolete at this point. I drilled a hole through the exterior wall and sent the water out to the backyard. this is ok for normal rains however the heavy ones not only over load the pump but the back yard is a depression and holds the water until it returns to the basement.

As for the legal issue of sending it to the street, I see many curb cuts with pipe coming from most houses in my neighborhood. I too have them but they are collapsed and useless.

My plan is to add a second sump pit on the opposite corner of the basement and reinstall drains to the street using the same curb cuts, inconspicously if need be.

I am pretty much convinced that most of the water intering the basement is from a rising water level in the ground rather than from my gutters.

Rick

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks