(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Newbie Question

dunno all I know is once I did it before and I needed a franklin control box

is one better then the other??

BTW this is on the 2nd pump and tank install of my life so I know nothing
    really just what I have read and done the first time I did it.

thanks to all u brainiach's I am learning alot here on this board

Rancher

Quote Originally Posted by sammyhydro11
    the pump tec thing is also what you edited. Your original response is no longer there. You originaly posted that the pump tec can only be used with three wire motors. Speedbump can confirm that because he is the one that had to correct you.
    Sonny, you're wrong again... when are you going to be a man and admit you were wrong...

I edited my first response at: "Last edited by Rancher : 03-23-2007 at 03:26 PM"

Speedbump left his response at: 03-24-2007 at 06:14 AM

Do the Math, almost 15 hours later...

Speedbump mis-read my response:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gmrules
    Should I use a Franklin Control Box?

Only with the 3 wire pump, unless you are thinking of a pumptec pump protector, then only if your well pumps dry.

I was unsure of whether gmrules was speaking of a control box, or a pumptec box, both made by Franklin and both the same size.

Sonny, basically, you're just always wrong.

Rancher

Rancher

Quote Originally Posted by gmrules
    dunno all I know is once I did it before and I needed a franklin control box

is one better then the other??
    A control box is used with a 3 wire pump, I think a 3 wire pump is better because there is less down the well to break.

For your application I would go with a:

Flint and Walling 10 GPM 3/4 HP STAINLESS Steel Complete Submersible Pumpwith Stainless Steel Pump Case and Ends

A 20 gallon AT-66 Bladder tank (20 gallon)

Hang it on 300 psi 1" poly pipe.

And this would be a perfect application for a CSV valve.

Don't buy a pumptec, you don't need one.

You can get all this stuff at:

http://www.deanbennett.com/

And they will help you out for what kind of fittings, gauges, tees, etc that you will need.

Rancher

Do you have a screend 4" well?Who did your pump test and what kind of drawdown did they get? How much water are you looking for? 300psi polly?? 1" 160lb would be more than enough. I have never priced 300lb polly but it has to be outragous. Your pump test results,the type of well you have,and what you demand for water determines what size pump you need.

SAM

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie
    Freedom of speech is the concept of the inherent human right to voice one's opinion publicly without fear of censorship or punishment.
    Freedom of Speech in the context of the US constitution prohibits only the government from restricting your speech.

There is no protected right to freedom of speech in a privately owned forum such as this, or even in many government forums where the public may be authorized to attend but not participate.

With the working pressure at 40-65 and head, 160 psi is low and 300 high. 200 psi poly would seem correct. You could use 160 with some risk as the temperature is low of course in the hole. If you add a CSV up at surface, then you probably would blow out the 160 pipe.

You would probably be heading toward schd 80 jointed pipe then...

About control boxes, Franklin will offer you a Capacitor start box AND a CSCR box - the CSCR uses two capacitors -start and run, has lower FL amp draw and may reduce vibration at the motor. The CSCR box is about 50% more in cost, a good choice.

I would only use a 2 wire pump in a shallow well that was easy to pull by hand, but for myself, I never use them.

I guess it is all determined by how ONE would define this, Bob. What are you objecting to? I am not sure I understand your comment Bob.

Censorship is the removal or withholding of information from the public by a controlling group or body. Typically censorship is done by governments, religious groups, or the mass media, although other forms of censorship exist. The withholding of official secrets, commercial secrets, intellectual property, and privileged lawyer-client communication is not usually described as censorship when it remains within reasonable bounds. Because of this, the term "censorship" often carries with it a sense of untoward, inappropriate or repressive secrecy.
    Censorship is closely related to the concepts of freedom of speech and freedom of expression. When overused, it is often associated with human rights abuse, dictatorship and repression..
    The term "censorship" is often used as a pejorative term to signify a belief that a group controlling certain information is using this control improperly or for its own benefit, or preventing others from accessing information that should be made readily accessible (often so that conclusions drawn can be verified).

I am not a lawyer, just a reporter.

*Aren't you glad you live in a country where you can speak out Bob? I sure am. I have seen other countries where one can't and believe me, some are not even a nice place to visit. let alone, hang your hat. Some countries would jail you for saying...boo ( hoo hoo) lol. Only kidding here.
    Last edited by Cookie; 03-25-2007 at 12:08 PM.

Rancher

Quote Originally Posted by Raucina
    200 psi poly would seem correct.
    Yep you're right, typing to fast again, left out some words, I ment 200 psi poly at 300'.

Rancher

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie
    I guess it is all determined by how ONE would define this, Bob. What are you objecting to? I am not sure I understand your comment Bob.
    I'm not objecting to anything.

Some people argue that the constututional right of "freedom of speech" prevents private owners of public forums from limiting the speech or writing of people participating in those forums.

The US constitution has no effect on private parties prohibiting speech on properties that they own, as for example on this or any other forum.

That would be a good question for a lawyer.
    ** The right kind of lawyer, one versed on Constitutional Law.
    Last edited by Cookie; 03-25-2007 at 01:36 PM.

Previous member

Rancher,

We were talking about Franklin motors, not the new ITT/Pentair motor. Your research is useless to someone using a Franklin Submersible motor. Which is the only motor I will use until ITT/Pentair motors have been out for a number of years and the bugs have been removed. Some have gotten off track with what this conversation started with. The questions:

I am about to install New Irrigation well, not to be used for Domestic Water Just Irrigation and Yard water.

I have a few questions

Can I Leave the Pressure Tank Out in the weather? Yes

Whats the difference between 2 & 3 Wire Pumps? Start capicitors and relays vs biac switches and less starting torque which is not important unless there are abrasives that could seize the motor. In most cases, if you sand lock a pump, the start cap isn't going to help anyway.

Should I use a Franklin Control Box? Franklin being the key word here.

Can Non Burial Tanks be layed on their sides?
    Yes as far as the bladder is concerned. If you want to scratch the paint up, go ahead.

bob...

Rancher

Quote Originally Posted by speedbump
    We were talking about Franklin motors, not the new ITT/Pentair motor.
    Actually we were discussing 2 wire vs 3 wire pumps. With ITT/Pentair owning, STA-RITE, Myers, Aurora, Hydromatic, Fairbanks Morse, Flotec, Hypro, Water Ace, Berkeley, Aermotor, Simer, Verti-line, Diamond, FoamPro, Onga, Nocchi, ShurDri, Edwards, Jung, Delta Environmental, Layne & Bowler, Sherwood, SherTech, SHURflo, and Riva-flo, the chance of getting one of the new ITT/Pentair 2 wire motors with the integral capacitior is probably greater that getting a Franklin motor, especially if you're a do-it-yourselfer and buy the pump at one of the big box stores.

My preference is allways the 3 wire pump, since both the capacitor or diac in the submersible pump is one more point of failure... down the well.

Quote Originally Posted by speedbump
    Yes as far as the bladder is concerned. If you want to scratch the paint up, go ahead.
    And to again quote Flexcon, only if the tank is 44 Gallons or smaller, and I assume their answer has to do with the bladder deforming and either breaking, or blocking the outlet.

Rancher