Does my rough plumbing valves and fixtures have to be the same brand?

Users who are viewing this thread

Brena

Reaction score
I am building a house and the plumbers used all Kohler brand for the rough. I have been told that means I have to purchase Kohler brand toilets, sinks and faucets. Is this true? I have replaced faucets before on my existing home and I am pretty sure the valves that were installed when it was build is NOT the same brand as the faucets I picked up at Home Depot.

I want to purchase Fontaine fixtures, not Kohler. What do I do??

Help! I need to order my fixtures by tomorrow!!!

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Same brand

The answer is no! get rid of the person that told you that, somebody is trying to scrxw you!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If you have Kohler rough-in valves for the showers and tubs, then yes, they will need Kohler trims.

Lavs and sinks don't have to match though.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
fixtures

the only thing that has to "match" is that you must have all the right parts to any single faucet. Other than that, every fixture can be from a different manufacturer and every faucet can also be a mismatch. I would not have chosen Kohler for my first faucet choice, since they are overpriced, and average quality.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The confusion comes mainly in shower/tub areas - here many, if not most, companies sell the trim separately from the valves. Now, you can buy them packaged together, and that is the way many big box home stores sell them, but at a 'real' plumbing store, the trim and rough-in valves are usually sold separately.

So, if there are valves already in the wall in the tub, then yes, it is likely that the only trim pieces that will fit are from the same brand. Note, this has nothing to do with the shutoff valves that feed the separate valves at the sink or toilet.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks