Attic Bath Diagram

Users who are viewing this thread

Jasonmcl

Reaction score
Could someone have a look and let me know what they think. Please ignore the bad art work. thanks

Attachments

• Diagram 004.jpg
    Diagram 004.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 948
Last edited:

SRdenny

Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
Clean outs at the end of the main line and the lavy branch would be nice. Also, your wc may not be to code (depends on which code is enforced in your area).

ssurell

Remodeling Carpenter
Reaction score
Originally from Michigan, 4 years now in Kentucky.
3" to 2" vent

The other thing I see is: I would reduce the 3" to 2" vent at the Y fitting for the toilet. 2" fittings will fit in a standard stud wall where a special wet-wall or furred out wall has to be used for 3". Like I said in the previouse post, the cost of the fittings and pipe in addition to the added hassle of accomidating larger diameter pipe, I don't feel, is worth it when I don't see any advantage. Unless you're planning on sending large solids through, or you have to make a long run to get to your vent pipe, but then your p-trap has to be 2" also.

Eddle6389

Reaction score
Same set-up

I have a similar setup I am working on in my basement. Just curious..do you have to run a separate vent line for your tub even though you tub drain ties into you main vent stack and looks to be relatively close? If so - I guess I need to run a new vent line!!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
dwv_b2.jpg
The toilet should be vented seperately from the other fixtures.
The revent should come in at 6" above the highest fixture, 42" is pretty safe for this.

You could use a 2x1.5x1.5x1.5 fixture fitting for the two lavs.
You can run one lav off 1.5" and when you combine them, it goes to 2".

The tub drain should be 2", in most cases you can use a 1.5" trap and trap arm.

SRdenny

Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
Terry
Unfortunately, in my area they enforce the UBC (section 2320.11.10) which only allows 2-3/16" maximum holes in 2x6 bearing studs and 3-5/16 maximum holes in 2x6 non bearing studs. Thus, I would not be able to drill the hole needed for the 3" which travels on a 45° to avoid the downstairs wc. However, I could run the second floor closet waste directly behind the downstairs wc and wet vent the upstairs lavy horizontally off the adjacent wc's 2" vertical vent (of course I would need a 2x6 wall upstairs to do it).

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
In the drawing, I put the 3" line over so the drawing of the toilet wouldn't block it for learning purposes.
In the real world, I would have used a wye and street 45 and kept it within the 14.5" stud space behind the toilet.
In some cities here, we can wet vent the lav into the 2" wc vent, but not all cities.
Inspectors like to get their respect, sometimes by having their own interpretations of the codes.

One year I was plumbing in meat markets into food stores in ten cities.
After meeting with each inspector, I ran the plumbing ten different ways.
Every inspector thought he was the smartest in the state.
A little confusing though, running them that many different ways.
In Tacoma, one gold necklaced, open shirt to the chest inspector informed me that they didn't like outsiders doing "their" work.
I asked for the first inspector I had talked to and the inspection was completed.
I've always wondered if he was hinting for a bribe or if he was just goofy.

I remembered that my father used to tell me stories of Tacoma years ago, he was a district court judge in King county, and Pierce county used to bring him down there if they were "trying" one of their judges.
I hope things are better now there.

Anyway, it doesn't hurt to talk to your inspector before you get too carried away thinking you can just go by the code book.

SRdenny

Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
"When in Rome, do as the Romans do."

Great story, Terry. Ten jurisdictionms, ten different interpretations. That's why my local plumber's assoc. has been holding quarterly code meetings for over 30 years. Get as many different code officials in one room at one time and talk code. Getting them all on the same page is money well spent. I also go to the local IAPMO meetings just to keep my ears to the rail and to show my interset in all things code. Knowing an inspector or his boss is invaluable. We rarely have any conflicts with inspectors and when we do, I research the problem and share my findings with the inspector. Occasionally, with officials like your gold chained guy from Tacoma, this is a waste of time. Mostly, it ends up being a nice introduction that often leads to professional friendship.

RioHyde

Plumber
Reaction score
On the subject of code interpretation.....

Terry,

Glad to hear that we in Ohio arent the only ones in the nation that have to deal with umpteen interpretations of the code by different inspectors. Always a good idea to have a little pow-wow before doing anything for sure! The biggest problem we're facing IMO is that the code here only applies to 4 family and above residential dwellings and commercial buildings. When plumbing a single family home (or 2/3 family for that matter) we have to plumb it the way that particular jurisdiction wants it done whether its in the code book or not. Makes for some very confused plumbers at times. There is talk here of actually adopting a "residential code" though some are fighting it for various reasons. Making everything universal would be a good place to be, but I'm afraid every inspector will always interpret the code to his/her liking.
:confused:

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks