(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Garbage disposal removal

Cool Garbage disposal removal

There is a Sears garbage disposal under my sink that I would like to remove and replace with drain pipes and just use both sinks.
    The garbage disposal is at least 12 years old. It's about 12 inches in diameter.

No one at the ******* near me can tell me how to remove it. I've looked at others and they just appear to twist off from the bracket attached to the bottom of the sink. However, mine seems extremely hard to loosen.

Is there a trick or special tool used to remove garbage disposals? Thanks

Default disposer

Most Sears disposers are made by ISE which means they have a "twist mount flange" and you just rotate it counterclockwise to remove it. If it is one made by a different company then there are many possibilities as to how to remove it. If it was made by GE for example, (in which case it would be a true "Disposal"), then it has four spring latches and the easiest way to get it off is to break them. Others have large plastic nuts that screw
    off or release a bayonet mount.
    Last edited by Terry; 03-26-2007 at 05:55 PM.

Post Garbage disposal removal

HJ -
    Thank you. When I'm not sure how to do something, I tend to err more on the side of caution.

The garbage disposal appears to be the twist-on type. I will give it another try. Thanks again.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

The ISE clamp has (I think) three tubluar openings (maybe more) around the flange. If you have their allen wrench, it will fit into that opening, and you can use that as a lever to unscrew the clamp. Once that is loose, it is a piece of cake to replace. If the drain in the sink is okay, you can just replace the disposer and the rubber seal at the top from the new one. A scrub like maybe a Brillo pad will probably make the old one look new.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Default Jef

Jad, thanks. The allen wrench worked. Removed disposal and replaced with drain. Thanks again

I normally use a long phillips screwdriver for leverage when turning the clamp... But when it's frozen on, I use a hammer and cold chisel to break it loose.
    Last edited by Verdeboy; 03-25-2007 at 09:42 PM.