Stub too short for tub spout!

Users who are viewing this thread

Roy Lucianna

Reaction score
When I installed a new shower and tub fixture, I didn't allow for the recess in the tub spout. It is a screw on type. The male copper stub (nipple) is 3/4" as is the female tub spout. Does anyone know if there is an extension piece and what it might be called? The stub comes just up to the spout threads, but not enough to screw on. The problem here is that I have already finished the tile work! and don't want to break it open.
I have found a brass extension, but the female end is threaded for a hose, which is to say that the threads are wider than those of the copper nipple. Does anyone know if this would work, as the spout is not under pressure?

Markts30

Commercial Plumber
Reaction score
Is the pipe coming out of the wall a nipple or is it a copper pipe with a male adapter on it (is it a pre-threaded brass pipe or not?)
If it is a brass nipple, unscrew it from the threaded 90 in the wall and buy one 1/2" longer at your local plumbing supply house...
If it is copper with an adapter, cut it 1 - 1 1/2" from the wall and use a coupling, some pipe and a new MIP adapter. If you cut off a piece that was 3" from the end of the pipe to the end of the threads, make the replacement 1/2" or so longer so it now fits....
Hopefully you have enough room to extend the pipe if that is what is required....

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
If the nipple is actually a 1/2" pipe ( measures 3/4" across outside of threads) a Delta RP5834 has a sliding adapter which solves the problem.

Roy Lucianna

Reaction score
Stub too short for tub spout

The nipple is a copper male adapter which I soldered onto a 3" or so copper pipe, from the elbow. It measures 3/4+" outer diameter. There is about 3/4" protruding from the wall and I don't want to break open the tiles/wall. The spout has 3/4" diameter. Thank you for your responses...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks