Manabloc & Van guard PEX opinions

Users who are viewing this thread

mamato2girls

Reaction score
I am about to install a Manabloc system with Vanguard/Vanex PEX tubing in my new house. I just stumbled across your site & I love it. I was wondering if anyone had used Vanex before. I am still nervous using a product I'm not familar with. Not about the installation, but about safety, leaching from lines into drinking water, etc. I'm a mom so this is the way my mind works! I am a stay at home mom who grew up the daughter of a builder. My dad (who passed away last month) taught me how to do just about everything when it comes to building a house. I am very proud to be finishing the house we started together using everything he taught me. I think he would approve of pex. He worried about me sweating copper.

Thanks for your help!

spresco

Reaction score
I am doing the same thing. Not a professional plumber. Just started making the main connections to the Manabloc. PEX is alot stiffer than I would have thought. I am following the guidlines as far as bend radius but it is tough to keep it in place. I bought a long handled crimper that has interchangable heads to save money. It takes two hands so it is harder to get a good crimp.

mamato2girls

Reaction score
That sounds like the crimper that I am planning to buy. I don't want to spend $225 for the others. I thought the same thing about the flexibility. It doesn't appear to bend as well as the pictures suggest. I guess it may take more slack than we intended. Good luck with your installation. We should get started the first of next week. We're going to do drains this weekend.

jrseaberg

Reaction score
first tiime PEX user...

I just ran five 1/2" PEX lines from my basement to 2nd floor bathroom. I really like the thought of no joints in the walls/floors. The PEX is more rigid than I anticipated, but it did not cause me any problems; it made the bends from basement ceiling joist space into wall stud space and then into 2nd floor joist space with no problems. (I did find it easier to pull with another person helping at the other end.)

I bought a Souix Chief crimping tool from ******* (like Lowes, Home Depot, etc.). Dual head, 1/2 and 3/4", for 89.00. I have used it for only probably 15 - 20 connections so far, but I have not had any failed crimps to this point. It is adjustable, and performs more than adequately in my opinion.

I ran it using manifolds, with a single valve on each of the supply lines to the manifolds, and used PEX plugs for the unused outlets. I did terminate each line with its own shut-off valve at the fixture.

I was not terribly impressed with the PEX copper stub outs; I wasn't able to get them mounted as rigidly in the wall as I would of liked, but definitely workable. (There is probably a proper method of doing this, but I don't know it.:p ) If doing this again, I would probably have used a PEX to 1/2 pipe adaptor with the "ear " mounting holes, that I would screw into blocking, like I did for the two shower heads.

I am no where near being a pro at plumbing, and probably "just" qualify as a DIYer. I will continue to use PEX as I re-plumb my house.

Just my thoughts....

Have fun!
Jim

mamato2girls

Reaction score
jrseaberg said:
I am no where near being a pro at plumbing, and probably "just" qualify as a DIYer. I will continue to use PEX as I re-plumb my house.

You sound just like me!!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks