tub suround instal

Users who are viewing this thread

mahoner

Reaction score
bathtub wall surround install

I am installing a one piece tub surround over an existing tub. I have removed the old tile and and the damaged portion of the drywall to the studs. The existing drywall, that is not damaged is 3/8" thick. My question is, since I am installing a one peice tub surround, do you need to install the green water resistant drywall behind it? If so I may need to do more demolition, as the green drywall only seems to be manufactured in 1/2". Is there a sealer I can use instead of the green drywall? Thanks in advance for any advice!

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Some one-piece jobs don't need anything behind them, they attach to the studs. What does the manufacturer's instructions say? If they don't, it is best to ask them. The rigidity of the things varies a lot, and it may or may not need any support other than the studs.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks