Hard to remove fill valve

Users who are viewing this thread

ahaddad

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm a new homeowner and I need to replace my first fill valve. I can't get the old one off! The nut at the bottom of the tank is completely stuck. I tried for two hours last night with no luck (well, I got the lower one off but the one that's in contact with the tank won't budge). Any ideas or tricks about removing it?
Thanks,
Alex

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
valve

Unless it is a brass fill valve with a "pot metal" nut, it should not be that tight so you may be doing something wrong. If it is really that tight, you might want to call a plumber before you crack the tank and have to buy a new complete toilet.

ahaddad

Reaction score
Good point. Maybe I'm using the wrong tool. The thing is plastic and I was trying to get it off with a wrench. The whole assembly turns when I try to loosen it.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
You will have to hold the inside piece with your hand while applying the pliers to the underside nut. All else fails, very carefully hold a hacksaw blade inyour hand and cut the nut. On an all plastic set up, this should not be necassary. It will come loose.

Maddog

Engineer
Reaction score
I had the exact same problem removing a plastic fill valve. It would just spin around in the tank while turning the plastic nut on the bottom. I used a hack saw blade, which easily cut through the threaded part of the valve. I then carefully cut about half way through the plastic nut and was then able to pry/separate/split the nut with a thin blade screw driver. -dog

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
nut

If it is plastic, heat a screwdriver with a torch and melt a groove up the side of it, then snap it off the thread. You won't have to worry about damaging the tank or anything else doing it this way.

ahaddad

Reaction score
It's FIXED

Thanks for all the suggestions. I couldn't get anything to work.
Then my dad came over and chiseled it off in 10 seconds!!
I HIGHLY recommend that method!:D :D :D :D

sheltie1

Reaction score
In case anyone with metal plumbing reads this, I will let you know the answer that worked for me. I scrubbed the nut under the toilet with a wire brush and WD-40. Then I clipped a vice grips to the fill valve base inside the toilet. Once those two steps were done, I was able to unscrew the screw under the toilet for the fill valve attachment without any further trouble.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks