Anyone have experience with the Unifit adapter?

Users who are viewing this thread

contessa301

Reaction score
Toto toilet too close to Wall? ! ?

Help! My plumber just tested the fit of the Toto Carrolton for our renovation. We have an 11" rough in (who on earth does that?) and bought the Carrolton with the 10" Unifit. The plumber likes the Unifit (although he hasn't actually installed it yet), but discovered on his "dry run" of fitting in the toilet prior to laying the floor tile that the toilet and tank are smack up against the wall. I thought, according to the diagram, that the tank would be aprox. 3/4" away from the wall after installation. What gives?

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The Carrollton comes with a 12" Unifit in the box.

With a 12" rough, there would be about 3/4" behind.
With a 11" rough, the back would be touching the wall.

If you purchase a 10" Unift, then you would have about 1-3/4" behind with a 11" rough.

Last edited:

dmont

Reaction score
flange too tall

We are installing a Toto Carlyle over a tile on cement floor. The flange is 1/2 inch thick, mounted on top of the tile. It is canted somewhat, so the high side of the flange is more than 1/2 inch from the finished floor surface. There is little or no room between the underside of the Unifit and the top surface of the flange for the wax.
Toto said to knead the wax and spread it out to make a thinner seal. We don't really have enough room to do even that.
Is it possible to shim up the back side of the Unifit the thickness of the wax seal and still have the toilet rest on the floor?
The alternatives seem to be trying to remove the existing flange and get a thinner one to mount more level (not attractive because we have no good access to the underside of the floor if this process goes wrong), or scrapping the Carlyle and buying an Ultra-Max (not attractive because no Sani-Gloss and because the water supply is roughed in farther from the center line for the Carlyle). Raising the floor is not an option.
I'd appreciate thoughts on shims or other alternatives I might not have considered.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
First, try to sit the adapter on the flange with no wax. If it won't sit flat on the floor, neither it nor most new toilets will fit without flange work. You have an advantage with the Toto Unifit...you are attaching the toilet to the Unifit, not to the flange, so the fact that the flange is not attached to the floor like it should be isn't as big a factor. While you can see it, those who have not seen this adapter, it is part of the toilet installation and is attached to the floor with not only the flange bolts, but additional bolts through the floor to hold it in place. Then, the toilet is attached to the adapter, not to the floor.

If it does sit flat without wax, consider one of the waxless seals made by Fluidmaster (I've used these) or Fernco (supposed to be good, too). They are much thinner, and should work. The Fluidmaster is available at the big box home centers. You might have to go to a plumbing store for the Fernco.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks