Shallow well Pumping problem

Users who are viewing this thread

Prfish00

Reaction score
Hi[:x)] I have about a 25' 2" shallow water well, been using it for 20 years and always drained the pump for winterization. This is at my lake house and spend very little time there. A few weeks ago on my visit the 1/3 hp pump would shut down after pressure was reached but not turn back on. After further investigation some parts in the motor were breaking off and putting it in a bind and not allowing it to start up. Well anyways that weekend I just used a screw driver to push it past the bind and make a weekend out of it. So I loaded up the pump and took it home to work on, this pump is 30 years old and I was not able to get into the case to see what the trouble but got allot of pieces out of it and tested periodically for a few weeks b4 I returned to the lake. I arrived at the lake hooked everything back up primed the 1" pipe going down in the well 20' about 5 ' past the water table, this is new just purchases pipe. It filles up and maintains so I hook it to the pump and prime the pump. Nothing but air bubbles for about 40 gallons of water to prime this thing....nada ever. So i wake up the next morning do a lil fishing and head to the store to purchase a 1/2 hp pump take everything to hook it back up same thing, nothing but air. What’s the deal here? I pull everything out of the well throw the well end in the lake it pumps just fine. i did this 3 times back and forth to the lake for more prime water. nada nothing but air. Ever heard of such a thing in your life?

Any help here?

Pumpman

Pump Sales
Reaction score
It sounds like you have a leak in the suction piping. When you throw it in the lake, maybe the water level is above the leak, and it works.
Inspect the piping for loose fittings, etc., and try it again.
Ron

Prfish00

Reaction score
No when I take it to the lake all i put in the water is the very end. When it's in the well about 5' is below the waterline:confused:

Speedbump

Reaction score
That 5' could be enough to keep it from priming because it's pulling more air than it would being level with the water line.

bob...

Speedbump

Reaction score
Or a fitting that is leaking. It's the only way you will be getting air instead of water. Did you use pipe dope/tape. Did you tighten fittings good and tight?

GMrules

Reaction score
Speed ur post reminded me a a Joke

Did you tighten fittings good and tight?

the question is what to u call a (G......n) Virgin

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks