Shower Drain venting

Users who are viewing this thread

homeguy34

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

This is my first post, so if I miss anything let me know.
I was hoping for insight into a new shower drain. The main stack is approx 5ft away from the trap. Does this need vented? Or can I use the main stack as the vent.
It is a 2nd story bathroom. (2story house)

Second question, if this is too far without a vent, what distance is acceptable to use the main stack as the vent?

Thank you,
Alex

homeguy34

Reaction score
I don't have any other fixture connected to this drain line, the shower drain goes directly to the stack.

Will it matter if a toilet and sink are also connected to the 3" stack above or below where this line will go into the 3" stack?

Thank you for the help,, I really appreciate it. :)

Alex

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
2" pipe for 5' length is OK, AFAIK.

From a single 2" P trap and not more, a 5' length to the stack is OK, AFAIK.
homeguy34 said:
.... Will it matter if a toilet and sink are also connected to the 3" stack above or below where this line will go into the 3" stack?
no, the analysis stops at the stack, AFAIK.

:) David

homeguy34

Reaction score
Thank you :)

Thanks David,

That helps me move along with the construction!! I appreciate it.

Alex

Markts30

Commercial Plumber
Reaction score
homeguy34 said:
Will it matter if a toilet and sink are also connected to the 3" stack above or below where this line will go into the 3" stack?
Alex

We are getting nto wet-venting here...
AFAIK
You cannot wet-vent a shower under a WC...
You can wet-vent a wc under a shower though...
There cannot be anything on any floors above going into the stack however...

mamato2girls

Reaction score
Mark,
I am confused by this being called wet-venting. Maybe I don't understand the layout. It is making me worry about my master bath in my new house. Not to hijack the thread, but can I run this by you? The room is a square with the walls being A, B, C & D going clockwise. On wall A is a jacuzzi tub, wall B is a sink, wall C has a toilet & shower. The vent stack runs over wall C. All four fixtures in the room are individually vented, coming out the top of the wall-plate, then they all intersect the 3" vent stack. The slope is right on all of them. I think the order they intersect from top of vent to bottom is jacuzzi, sink, shower, toilet. Does that make any sense?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Sounds like your setup is normal. As I understand it, wet venting is relying on the use of a drain to vent a fixture - running the drain from one device to another with no vent line in between.

Each of your fixtures has its own vent line. They can be combined above the flood plane as long as the aggragate size is sufficient.

mamato2girls

Reaction score
Thanks!

Thanks so much for your help. I guess I misunderstood the previous posters description. I thought mine was pretty typical. Thanks!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks