Shower drain placement

Users who are viewing this thread

Bryan123

Reaction score
Hi Folks,
I need to know how to set my shower drain on the subfloor. One man told me to rest the "bolt nubs" (no. 2 in picture) on the plywood subfloor in order to allow a bed of mortar to go beneath the flange. But another man told me to set the flange (no. 1) directly on the subfloor and to seal it with silicone caulk. Does anyone know which advice is correct?

Thanks,
Bryan

Attachments

• Pictures 155.jpg
    Pictures 155.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 317
  • Pictures 156.jpg
    Pictures 156.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 371
  • Pictures 153.jpg
    Pictures 153.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 311

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
doesn't matter yet.

What matters is how you are planning to fill the space just under the top. Then you work going down, subtracting down. You could embed the nubs marked #2 or not, either way.

Plan for your waterproof layer to be sloped; that is often called a preslope, but the important thing is that the waterproofing to be on top, not underneath it flat on your subfloor.

The closer the waterproof layer is to the top the better. Ideally just under the tile and not down lower under a layer of concrete. Kerdi, Wedi and liquid trowelable membranes are the three options to achieve this goal.

David

Bryan123

Reaction score
Shower drain

David,
A pro will do the pan install, probably the hot mop method they seem to prefer here on the west coast. I guess I should wait and ask the installer what he prefers.

Thanks for the reply,
Bryan

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
remember, on top of the slope

you are right that this is the fourth possible method. Hot mop.

and it goes on top of the slope.

otherwise, ... on second thought, i'll skip it unless you ask to know what could happen otherwise.

david

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks