Innovations in Roofing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I'm getting re-roofed in a couple weeks. I'm having 2 layers of shingles being stripped off
and I'm going with a sand color to keep it cool here in the Desert.

Anyone with comments about newer products or opinions that are on the market now would be appreciated.

I see that some commercial buildings are beginning to use a foam product.

Mike

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If I had to do it, I'd go with a metal roof. They come in all sorts of finishes, and styles. In So Cal, another advantage is that you may get a break on your fire insurance rates. The better ones create an air space under them, keeping the roof deck much cooler. The aluminum ones with a Kynar finish are warranted for as much as 50-years (some are full replacement warranty, some pro--rated). Never replace it again and get the insurance, hvac benefits forever. Some of these have been around for 75-years or so, the coatings have improved immensely in the last 10-years.

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Thanks Jim. I will inquire about metal although no one here has one AFAIK.
We get into triple digits regularly out here in desert. 108-112 is very common in summer.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
The beauty of a metal shake look alike roof is that it acts like a radiant barrier because it has about 3/4" gap under it and tends to reflect over 90% of the incident radiant heat! For a radiant barrier to work, it needs an air gap under it, so a standing seam roof wouldn't work as well. This subject came up a few months ago. Some of the better ones are hard to tell they are metal from the street and are warranteed up to 50-years. There was a study done on a golf course's clubhouse that was done in the 1920's somewhere in the 1990's - the independent analysis said it had another 1800 years of life at its current degradation...talk about a permanent roof! That's longer than slate.

Check out this company's products; last I checked, they had been in business for over 50-years and had NO registered BB complaints against them - NONE, ever.
Great American Manufacturing, Inc.
8432 Park Place Boulevard
Houston, Texas 77017
(713) 649-2020

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
how it works

Three ways heat moves from point A to B.

Believe it or not, the most important of these heat transfer mechanisms is the one we almost never think about when we insulate houses to keep them cool in summer and warm in winter.

Sun's energy is all radiation. When it hits something and heats that thing up, then heat conduction can happen. So that makes it: "Radiation First, Conduction Second and Dependent on Radiation First." Hope this is getting interesting. The thrid way that heat can move around is a variation of conduction, when gases are involved. It's Convection.

A metal roof reflects back into outer space most of the sun's energy coming down on Planet Earth where your house happens to be. Aluminum and copper are the best reflectors.

This explains how a roof made of what appears to us to be a conductor can instead be a heat insulator. Metal is only a conductor when it is in physical contact with heat, not when heat arrives as radiant energy through space.

By eliminating a lot of heat at its source (i.e. by reflecting radiation or radiant heat), you have less of the other two kinds of heat transfer as well.

david

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Metal with an air gap will be a radiant barrier. The scalloped design, though won't be as good as one that has less contact surface area. It doesn't have to be shiney like a mirror to be a radiant barrier.

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
All things considered I'm going with traditional 40 year shingle-terra cotta color.
It's always worked well here in the desert. The mineral coating blends in well with the rustic sand and mountain landscape here.

Mike

Jadnashua

Reaction score
In the desert, that 40-year roof probably will start to look funky after as little as 15, and you won't have the energy benefits. I put a radiant barrier under my roof stringers and the ceiling in the bedrooms dropped 20+ degrees in the summer. Know how your ceiling seems to act as a radiator overnight after a long hot sunny day? The radiant barrier prevents most of that. Plus, many are energy star rated and could provide a tax credit, not counting the insurance company's potential cut for a fire-proof roof. Helps in resale, too.

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Well, You're right Jim. Anything subjected to this intense direct sunlight can just fade and breaks down colors and textures in some cases. However, it's not as noticeable in a rustic community where the antique/weathered look is part of the charm here.

We also get the Santa Ana "Devil Winds" here seasonally which actually has more damage potential than the 120 degree dog days of summer.

I may have missed the boat on changing anything planned as they are starting to roof in 24 hours.

Mike

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Unfreakin' believable....it only rains here about 10 days a year---and it rained last night---no roofing today I guess...

Mike

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Anyone know what a new roof does to a home value by any chance?

Also...I read somewhere that tile or hardwood floors add 5%..?

Mike

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks