replumbing from water meter outward

Users who are viewing this thread

bozomedic

Reaction score
Hello all. I want to replace my old galvanized pipes (circa 1950) with copper starting at the water meter. The piping appears this way: pipe through basement floor-valve-elbow-pipe(with grouding strap attached)- water meter-nut-nipple(with grouding strap attached)-elbow-pipe-valve-piping.

Everything is painted black. I know copper can not attach directly to galvanized so am I safe to assume that the nipple coming out of the house side of the water meter is brass painted black? If so, can I attach a copper fitting to that or do I have to replace the nipple to be on the safe side? If so, how do I know what metal to use with my existing water meter? Thanks.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pipe

You have a misconception there. You say that copper CANNOT be connected to galvanized, when you should have said SHOULD NOT be connected to it. There is nothing to prevent someone from using a galvanized nipple so you cannot assume anything about it. Scrape some paint off and see whether it is galvanized silver, or brass yellow colored pipe. After the meter you can use whatever material you wish to.

bozomedic

Reaction score
I scraped off the paint. The nipple is a yellowish color. The elbow is a grayish silver color. Is the nipple perhaps brass instead of copper? Can galvanized be connected to brass? Thanks.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks