Pics of my Shower

Users who are viewing this thread

All Thumbs

Reaction score
Hello , first post ! Woohoo !!! Grab a drink sit back and let's roll...

My ensuite shower started to leak behind a few loose tiles ankle high. At the same time the tub diverter valve in the main bathroom was leaking. Since I wanted to redo my ensuite I decided it was a good time to smash the walls down fix the problems and move on to the next disaster. Turns out the main bathtub drain was also leaking so I fixed that and the diverter valve and now moved on to the ensuite. The tub drain was actually leaking onto the basement ceiling and bowed down one drywall panel

Shower Pan out with some stain marks on the floor from the leaky tiles that started all this. I noticed no plastic sheet vapour barrier that would of prevented the leaking into the under pan area, correct ? I plan on installing one, basically staple some plastic sheet then put on the wall right and make sure the plastic drains into the lip of the pan ?
001.jpg

The shower used to have ugly tiles so I destroyed the walls up to the point they ended, more or less. :eek: I'm not sure if this is the correct technique but it did feel good to break. I went out and bought that sledgehammer to play with on the job. I'm guessing I should get a fancy type of saw to cut the drywall even all the way across. I didn't want to take out anymore because I am afraid of messing around up near the ceiling.
Top of destruction:
003.jpg

Here is the rest of the bathroom. Here I want to put in a pedastal sink to make more legroom and less crowded , a new mirror, light and some kind of storage rack or medicine type cabinet wall mounted.

Up next on the drop-kick parade:
004.jpg

Post your thoughts wise ones and I'll post back when I've moved ahead on the ordeal with new information.

Chassis

Engineer
Reaction score
Congratulations on beginning your new project! Drywall can be cut nicely with a sharp utility knife and a straightedge, such as a steel rule, builder's square or level. Score a few times with the knife, then snap it cleanly.

Take a look at www.johnbridge.com and you will learn all you ever wanted to learn about building a long lasting, leakproof and attractive shower.

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
All Thumbs said:
... staple some plastic sheet then put on the wall right and make sure the plastic drains into the lip of the pan ? .... get a fancy type of saw to cut the drywall even all the way across. ...
Q1: Yes, drains inside the lip (flange) of the tub.
Q2: To even out the drywall edge, use a bread knife. Snapping after scoring is for pieces large enough to hold together all in one go, and also you would need to have access and a range of movement on the other side. You have small odd shaped pieces and you would have to pull towards the cut side, not away from it.

Welcome!

david

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There are a couple of right ways to build a shower, and lots of wrong ones...there are all sorts of people and resources that can help you (as already mentioned) at www.johnbridge.com; I highly recommend you check them out. You don't want this to happen again.

Prashster

Reaction score
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks