Well water treatment? Please help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Speedbump

Reaction score
Not to get off the original subject. A very wealthy customer was offered one of the nicest looking magnetic "water softeners" I have ever seen. I tried to talk him out of it, but $895.00 later, he found out just how great these things work. He then had us come out and install a water softener.

bob...

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
speedbump said:
What is this product that you inject into the well? Is it chlorine, acid or none of the above? Is this chemical harmful to metal, plastic or brass? How much must be injected to take care of Iron Bacteria in a normal installation per day/week/month?

In response to some similar questions I had asked, here is some information e-mailed to me from Berry Systems about a month ago:

Our system uses a bromine and chlorine compound which is in tablet form. The water runs over the tablets and erodes 1 to 3 parts per million which is deposited into the well to kill the bacteria in the well. One to three parts per million will not oxidize the minerals in solution. The pipes you see clogged on our website came out of our well house 6 years ago. We have never had another pump failure, and the water is pristine.

The level of chemical in the well is controlled by the amount of time the system operates. For example, a 6" well with a 35' static level and a total depth of 150' and a pump which pumps 10 gallons of water per minute would be treated 1.7 to 3.4 minutes once per 12 hours. That is the amount of time it will take to impart 1 to 3 parts per million of the chemical into the well. This is checked empirically using a colorimetric test kit we provide with the unit. A 45 to 60 minute idle period is needed to give the drinking water treatment chemical to kill the bacteria in the well. This chemical kills all bacteria which do not have a spore in their life cycle, for example, cryptosporidium. To achieve the idle time, the system is normally set to run in the early hours like 2 am and then at 2 pm to operate after lunch or before children return from school or adults return from work. When I am home doing lots of laundry, I notice no impact from my water HaloVac system. I do what I wish when I wish and if the well has no idle time today it will tomorrow or tonight. No problem. Conversely, should you plan to be away for more than a day, turn the system off during this time to prevent over-treatment. This is a disinfection process as we are killing bacteria. Any disinfection process produces disinfection by-products some of which are thought to be carcinogenic at 80 ppb over a period of 70 years of exposure. This is true for the municipal water we all drink which must by law be disinfected. You may use activated carbon filtration to remove these compounds.

MaxBlack

Reaction score
leejosepho said:
In response to some similar questions I had asked, here is some information e-mailed to me from Berry Systems about a month ago:
Thanks for that. Some of y'all here love to trash new ideas, and it's an easy game to play. But the Aussies have some significant water problems, and some unique & creative solutions to those problems and I for one am interested in the kinds of things they are coming-up with...

Speedbump

Reaction score
This is not new technology. I have seen these pool chlorinators being installed in place of motorized Feed Pumps for many years. Its a very good way to allow people to put 3" tablets in with stabalizers and many other chlorine products that were never intended for drinking water. I will admit, I have never seen them used before to inject the chemical directly into the well

The above is only a small part of the problem of putting chlorine or any other ozidizing chemical into a well. The chemicals will eat your casing if it's metal and anything else in the well including the pump.

Trust me, this is not new technology, it's a rip off and a very expensive one at that.

bob...

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
The system described by treecutter is a periodic disinfection of the water in the well. The level of disinfection appears to be on the same order as treatment of water for potable use. I can't find it now but somewhere saw that it uses somewhere on the order of 1 to 3 mg/liter of a chlorine/bromine compound.

If it is not acceptable to put the equipment at the head of the well, it would seem to be possible to put a liquid injection system at the point where the water enters a protected area and inject the disinfectant in liquid form through a small tube run with the water pipe.

Last edited:

Speedbump

Reaction score
It seems like this system is trying to one up the pool chlorinator that water treatment dealers in my area have been installing for years Bob. Not all of them of course, just the crooks. They can buy an inline pool chlorinator for around $40.00 where a motorized feed pump can cost them $150.00 plus then the solution tank on top of that. These guys even tell the homeowner to put the three inch Trichloria;kfl;djfarklt;lrj tablets in them because they are a much stronger chlorine. Yup, they are, but the other chemicals added to these tablets are for brightening up your pool water, not your innerds.

Putting any amount of chlorine into a well on a regular basis is foolish. I have seen casing totally eaten away by these pellet droppers. And I have a customer who let a water treatment dealer talk him into injecting O-zone down a 1/4" tube just above his submersible pump. You wouldn't believe what his one year old pump looked like less than a year later when it stopped working altogether.

For those of you out there who have nasty water, and aren't too sure how to go about cleaning it up. Stay with the proven technology. If this thing we are discussing were ever to catch on (which it won't) you would be hearing good things about it.

bob...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks